1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mouse for the aged

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by grandpaw7, Nov 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

In case any of you old people are listening, and in case you, too, sometimes have a hard time controling that mouse: I found that with some frequency I was having trouble moving my cursor to exactly the right spot, particularly, it seems, when the right spot was just a fraction of an inch away from where my cursor then was. It seemed to me that the mouse was not responding well to my movements of it. Anyhow, I got me one of those mouses (mice?) that does not require a mouse pad. And I'm finding it much easier to control my cursor now; it seems much more responsive, and I don't go off the pad any more. Mine cost me twenty dollars plus tax. Naturally, if you know me, it was the cheapest one I could find.

If you do change mouses, be aware that you need to have your computer turned off when you install the new mouse. I found this out by installing while my computer was on and then having the computer go dead. I wasn't able to get it to take electricity any more till I uninstalled the new mouse. When I then booted up, I got a message that I had no mouse attached and that I needed to turn off my computer to install it.

I'm wondering now if there is a market for a used mouse and pad.

We seniors (in life, not in high school or college) need to stick together; that way, we can help keep each other from falling over.

grandpaw

2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Hi grandpaw, :)

I dumped my mouse pad a good while ago.
    I wanted smoother mouse movement during
    game play, and also found the little internal
    mouse rollers pick up less lint this way.

Mine's just an "el cheapo" ($10.00) mouse...

Cheers, Mac

3. hewee

hewee

grandpaw7,

Great you got mouse.
    You do need to take them apart and clean the ball and roller now and then you know.

Plus the software on my Logitech cordless mouse let you adjust the Cursor speed and Acceleration.
    With the cursor speed set to slow I have to move the mouse about 9" for the cursor to go from the left hand side to the right on my 19" monitor.
    With the cursor speed set to fast I have to move the mouse about .25" for the cursor to go all the across.
    I have it set up so I never have to move the mouse more then 1".

Plus it has the Orientation set up so that the top part were the cord on yours is say 12 o'clock it set to 10 o'clock but when I move it moves the right way still.

I will never use a cord because they get in the way and drive me nuts.
    You can kill one if you don't clean them.

See image on "OverWorkedmouse".

Attached Files:

4. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

LOL after seeing that I'm definately going to clean mine more often.

:)

5. hewee

hewee

6. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

hewee

I am nice to my mouse, I mean who could go wrong with mwinkels mouse tips :)

Thanks for the links though, the last one has some good tips on it.

:D

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

hewee, all those websites on cleaning male mice makes me more glad that I finally got me a female one. As for speed, I need the slow speed. Age, alcohol and sex have slowed my motor skills down so that my problem is moving the cursor just a tad. The slower the cursor, the easier that kind of move. By the way, I've given up age and alcohol. grandpaw

8. hewee

hewee

LadyLisa,

OK your a lady one and you mouse likes ya.:D
    That one last link was for cleaning anything so that is why I added it.
    Did a search "Cleaning computer mouse" and there were 100's of sites.

grandpaw7,

By a female one do you mean cordless?
    You know if you days of having fun make it hard using a mouse then you know there are trackballs.
    There are some real big ones too that are made for kids. Like the ball is in the sizes of a hardball to a softball. Then you have the small ones that are down to about a golf ball.
    But those big ones for kid are made to be easy to use because small kids are still learning to control there hand so I would say it would work great for you too.

9. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

hewee, my understanding is that the old fashioned mice have balls but that the optical ones don't. Kind of sorry I mentioned it. grandpaw

10. hewee

hewee

grandpaw7,

Yep your right the optical ones work with light.

The balls come in two sizes too. I forget but the USA mice balls are smaller or bigger.

11. nlh

nlh

Just thought I'd mention that when your mouse starts going berserk someday, your batteries probably need to be replaced.

12. hewee

hewee

I learn that years ago. You can get some add days from the batteries if you can turn your speed up in the mouse setting but not that many. I have gone over a week sometimes after turning the speed up but it's best to have batteries on hand.

13. Ace4me

Ace4me

Batteries on hand? I thought they had to be in the mouse...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice