1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse freezes, then computer, reboot required

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by elim, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huggie54

huggie54

try a different mouse if you have one,i think either bios needs updating or some drivers not compatible,maybe display drivers

2. elim

elim Thread Starter

i downloaded a newer bios but didnt let me update, said its incompatible. maybe becuase i downloaded the vista version but theres no windows 7 version

3. NozzaC

NozzaC

I wouldn't rush into updating the BIOS if I were you. If you get that wrong you can hose your system big time. There are a ton of other potential reasons to rule out first IMO.

You say you did system restore. How far back did you go? Try going further back.

Does it work fine in safe mode? If so, use msconfig to find the problem.

4. elim

elim Thread Starter

keep getting BSODS now in normal windows mode, after about 5 minutes the computer display a bsod and will restart

none yet in safe mode but it has done it before. is there any hardware diognostics i can run to determine if its a hardware problem?

ive also updated the grpahics drivers, nothing changed. msconfig only has avg and my printer starting up

5. NozzaC

NozzaC

It's not all that likely a hw problem if it doesn't happen in safe mode. It's likely to be a driver, service or startup app. Like I said, use msconfig to narrow it down to one of these groups and then to the specific object.

It COULD be hw but I'd rule out the easy stuff first. One type of hw problem that won't occur in safe mode are some graphics card problems - because safe mode doesn't load the proper drivers and so you don't get it. In fact I've seen a mouse freeze problem happen for that exact reason. However the way I got to that was by troubleshooting the drivers first which pointed to the graphics card/driver.

6. NozzaC

NozzaC

That doesn't mean much. Firstly use msconfig to create a normal startup with the same limited loads as safe mode and see if that works. When it does, use it to bring all the services back in and test, then the drivers etc. Once you know if it's driver, service or startup is the problem use it to narrow down further.

7. elim

elim Thread Starter

well i used diognostic startup on msconfig and it still does it

i sometimes get a bluescreen (which said something about video adapter), or sometimes the mouse and system freezes. this computer is very troublesome, the system also freezes sometimes when you switch it on (fan stuck) and i have to unplug the power adapter to get it to work again.

8. NozzaC

NozzaC

Could be a problem with the graphics driver or card. Try booting in VGA mode and see if it happens there. Get a more specific error message from the blue screens.

Try using BlueScreenView to see which files are leading up to the problem.

You might also try running chkdsk /f on the system drive.

What do you mean by (fan stuck)? A message about a stuck fan or a fan which you can see is stuck? Which fan?

9. elim

elim Thread Starter

like sometimes it would just appear a blank screen with the fan on the computer running full blast (or get stuck on the bios screen), and id have to either turn it off from the power or socket, it would happen about once a month. either on startup or coming out of hibernation (seperate problem)

ill try the vga mode,

10. elim

elim Thread Starter

the problem has gone far more serious now, it no longer boots up properly

i tried booting into vga mode, and i got a blue screen on the starting windows page and it restarted onto the bios, then it got stuck on the bios screen.
    it would only boot past the bios again if i unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in.

edit: started up again in normal mode but for how long

11. elim

elim Thread Starter

bump a

anyone? soon as it gets on the desktop on safe mode, it restarts and freezes on the bios logo screen

12. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

Sounds like it is overheating.

When your computer freezes, and then it crashes and either reboots, shuts down or you reboot is a result of CPU overheating or software screwing up.

Run a memory test, run sfc /scannow, chkdsk. If you need help with any of those let me know, I will walk you through it, just keep using this thread.

If you can, find a CPU test as well. What kind of computer is it, please post specs of everything if you can.

Thanks,
    Synt4x

13. elim

elim Thread Starter

14. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

I don't really know what else to say, it sounds like it to me. Either it's CPU or Video card. Good luck, let me know what is when you figure it out.

15. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

Also, try removing all RAM, use 1 stick at a time on each RAM Module. Repeat this with all RAM sticks one at a time. Test it like that, maybe it could be RAM. (Highly doubt it)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice