Mouse freeze's then IDE1 fails....?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobb4ku

This is the system specs in question:
Motherboard: ASROCK K7S8X BIOS ver. P1.30
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400 (running at 2.2GHZ)
RAM: >1GB RAM
IDE1: 40GB Western Digtial
80GB Western Digital
IDE2: Sony DVD-ROM
Sony DVD-RW

My son has been complaining to me about freeze-ups with his mouse for a couple of
weeks...eventually it reached my username and the only option available to either one
of us was to hit the manual reset/reboot switch on the front of the case. Keyboard would
freeze also.

I fear that after several of these that we've damaged "something" on the MB. When I
boot my XP machine neither drive is detected (master or slave on IDE1). POST detects
my secondary master and slave (DVD-ROM & DVD-Writer) but not IDE1...I have switched
cable...still the same result.

I thought perhaps it was a power supply problem...within my BIOS, my temps are:
At boot up:
CPU temp=36C/96F
MB temp= 25C/77F

after about 7mins of run-time the temps are:

CPU temp=45C/113F
MB temp=29C/84F
are these high?

...using an ohm-meter...my load for each MB pwr connector is around 5.0V for the 5V
line...11.6V for the 12V line...and 3.3V for the 3.3V line...without any device connected.

I have tried to access the Recovery Console as well as to "Repair Windows" and both
times it response's was that a hard disk "cannot" be found. I dont believe its a software issue.

My IDE1 controller is simply not working...no cracks appear on the board, from the naked-eye. My BIOS does not detect "any" devices on IDE1 (they are both set for AUTO detection within my BIOS).
I am positive that the jumpers are correct on both drives in question and that I have pin1 aligned properly with the IDE cables.
What is left to check....does anyone know of any further PSU tests...or for that matter MB
test?..."ANY" suggestions would be helpful...I dont have a second PSU to swap out...Thanks so much for your reply! (y)

Try a known good unit, HD, cd-rom on IDE 1 and see if it is recognized. If not, try going into device manager and removing the primary IDE channel and then re-booting allowing Op.Sys to re-install.

bobb4ku

I can try the "known" good device (cable, HD and CDROM)...but I'm not even able to access
the Safe Mode....no way to get to the Dev. Man. My BIOS wont even recongize the two HD's.

Will let you know about "known" devices....thanks for your reply! (y)

If you take the cable from IDE2 and plug it into IDE1 does it recognize the cd-rom device in the bios??

Howdy folks...

bobb4ku...

After trying SacsTC advice, and if it does see the CD-ROMS then what I would do if this were my pc is set it back up the way you had it...

Unplug the Master ( both power and ribbon cable ) HD on IDE1, and boot the pc and see ifit will see the Slave, if it does then the Master is suspect as being bad. If it doesn't unplug the Slave ( both power and ribbon cable ), plug back in the Master and see if it will see it...

bobb4ku

To SacsTC- I took another XP drive from my second machine and hooked it up to IDE1 (first machine) and at least got it to boot to the DOS menu (Windows XP Pro and Safe Mode menu)...it wouldnt boot completely to the welcome screen (hardware differences I suppose) but at least the BIOS reconized both the master and slave drv on IDE1...I then took the bad drive and inserted it into the second machine as the master...same result-BIOS didnt recongize the master or slave in machine #2...finally, I made the bad drive the slave on machine #2 and was able to copy all of my documents across to machine#2 master drv. Follow ? Poor explanation...I'm sorry...been struggling with this issue all day.

To Jedi-Master...I havent thought of those idea's ... will try them tomorrow when my head is clearer. thanks!

I figured that with all the manual reboots I've had to do on this drive I've proably screwed it up really well...I'm considering reinserting the bad drive as slave in machine #2 and formatting it...if it will allow me to do so. Final question if I may, what does a "low-level format" actually do and will that help me gain this drive back (if the regular format fails)?

thanks again (y)

As long as you were able to get the info you needed off the drive already, I would take the "bad drive", install it in either machine as slave and run the drive manufacturers diagnostics on it to see if it passes the tests. If it does pass the tests, do a low level format on it. Expect this to take quite a long time if you do a complete low level format. (Some of them offer a quick low level that does not write the whole drive, just a couple gigs at the beginning and end). If it doesn't pass, check the manu website for whether or not it is still under warranty and RMA it to the manu for replacement.

Good Afternoon chaps, sounds like the dreaded IDE killer drive electronics bug has struck.
Usually involves a CDROM or burner, sometimes a HDD. A real pain kind of problem.
Was there any possibility you might have been trying to copy a game?
I have a suspicion that some kind of anti-piracy software might be involved in this kind of problem.
qldit.

bobb4ku

hello gldit, thanks for your input...it's very possible...my son doesnt quite know what to allow to download and what not too. He does play alot of online games...this problem originally started with his mouse freezing leaving him with only the manual reset/reboot to get him out of the jam...no other user had that problem until it apparently migrated over to my username/profile...leaving me with the same option (reset/reboot)

Anti-piracy software? I'm not sure I follow.

bobb4ku

To SacsTC...where do I find these low-level tools...its a Western Digital, do I visit their site and search for such a tool?

bobb4ku

To Jedi_Master - I unplugged the master and my BIOS did indeed recongize(sp) the slave...I reversed the settings and no luck with just the master configured. Sooo obviously no longer do I suspect IDE1 being bad but have pretty much come full circle knowing that all the manual reboot damaged my C: drv....I "hate" the thought of what comes next....reformat/reinstall everything!

To SacsTC - the manufacturers diagnostics test you mentioned would that be on the floppy disk I never use or kept :( ... on that disk is proably the test I should run along with the low-level format ? Would a search of Western Digital site turn that up?

Good Morning all,
To Bobb4ku, one of my gaming sons was using one of my machines, after his session a similar problem as yours was present, except it was a CD burner.
That machine had two CDs which enabled CD to CD on the fly.
I suspected he may have tried a game copy. It seems others have experienced similar problems, sometimes only resulting in one of the opticals being optically disabled, not neccessarily IDE disabled. My drive had only burned some 150 CD's, so it was kind of odd.
There is a suspect antipiracy software program on some games.
Regardless of any circumstances I do feel that if there were any possibility of a potentially malicious software program on any of the games disks, I would be tempted to take some kind of action against any of those organisations.

To everyone, the Madboot netsite has a universal floppy image available for free download which contains various tools for setting up initial system drives.
One of these tools is a drive zeroing tool or low level format which writes zeroes to every memory block. Expect a long time for this process. All other tools needed for fdisking, scanning and system loads are included. A very handy tool.
You need a decent floppy drive to make this disk.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online