1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aggie95, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aggie95

aggie95 Thread Starter

For the last couple days my mouse cursor has been freezing up. Once or twice a minute it the cursor freezes for about half a second, then starts working again. This makes it impossible to do any kind of gaming, or really anything requiring precision. It happens with two separate wireless mice so it's not an issue with the mouse.

Restarting the computer didn't help. I looked in my installed programs, and saw my Nvidia graphics driver had updated the same day this all begun to version 431.86. I installed the previous version 430.86 and rolled back to that one and restarted again, but again no change.

One thing that did temporarily help, though, is changing which usb port my mouse was connected to. I switched the mouse from one usb port to another and the problem resolved itself for a few hours, then started up again.

Also, when running specs on my computer it says I have an intel graphics card. Is there a reason why my computer would have both intel and nvidia, and could that be causing the issue? I'm not really a computer person so I'm pretty lost on how to fix this. Here are some of my specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16235 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 462 GB (266 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 05FFDN
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Thanks.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try a System Restore.

3. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    What ronbel meant to suggest is to try a wired mouse... Right?
    I always suggest running ADWcleaner (free) to root out potential malware that might have gotten on your system and may be to blame. If it suggests quarantining "Pre-Installed" software, then do that. You can always un-quarantine if you find something missing.
    The issue occurs outside of your game?
    Have you tried Running "Resource Monitor" and checking to see if any of the resources is being unusually taxed. I like to keep an eye on Memory / Hard Faults/sec on then Overview tab. if this is more than 0 on a system at Idle, then you may have something going in the background that shouldn't be.

4. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Your I7 processor has a built in GPU, so the specs program finds that when it query's the system. You might want to go into the UFCI fios setting and disable the onboard graphics. I doubt that it is having an effect on your mouse issue however.
    I am sure you have your monitor plugged into the Nvidia card and not a video connector on the motherboard. I have seen people do dumber things, so I have to ask.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice