1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse frozen, can't logon

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by harlequeen, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harlequeen

harlequeen Thread Starter

Hi
    A friend has asked me to look at his comuter because when he boots up the mouse is frozen and he can't logon. (the picture comes up, but not able to click on it). I managed to get the welcome screen up once, and the message that personal settings were loading, but I left if for about 15 mins and it never came up. I can hear activity in the drive.

My friend doesn't want to do a clean install because he hasn't backed up any of his work and there is tons of artwork on there.

Any ideas please ?

I suggested taking the drive out and putting it into one of my machines to try and get the work off his drive, but only as a last resort.

Cheers

2. theothermike

theothermike

Is this a laptop or desktop? Have you tried another mouse?

Have you tried booting to safe mode? (press f8 durring the bootup and choose safe mode from the menu)

3. wacor

wacor Banned

can you get into safe mode?

you could try a windows repair but the only problem with that is if there is a virus that caused the problem a repair is not an answer.

I would try to see if you can get into safe mode and run some spyware scans and also do a Hijack This and post the results back here.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi if f8 works..restore the registry by choosing Last Known Good configuration.

5. harlequeen

harlequeen Thread Starter

No go with f8, nothing happening at all. I can't find my winxp disk to boot from, so am stumped.

Cheers

Harlequeen

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi..without xp cd.!! Id try entering the bios and setting it to default..
    At start up tap..either f1..delete..esc

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!