1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse is erratic w/PS2 & "drops" off frequently w/USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmallBizGuy, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmallBizGuy

SmallBizGuy Thread Starter

Tech Guys,

The mouse connection on my computer (running Windows XP Pro) either moves erratically going through the PS2 connection, or drops connection very often when going through USB (any one).

I have been using a USB connection since I had this computer built for me 5 years ago or so (employee of business neighbor put things together for me--unfortunately for me, he's not there any more, though his employer is). Just in the last month or so, my mouse connected then by USB starting dropping the connection. I would take the connecting cord out of the USB port, and then put it back in. Lately (yesterday), it would disconnect and reconnect every couple of seconds.

What I have tried--

Got a new mouse. That worked for a little bit (half hour?), then started having same problems (connected things then w/USB).

Then my business neighbor suggested I try using my PS2 connection. I did. That worked for a while. And then, instead of "dropping" the connection, it became (and remains) often, erratic, and occasionally unresponsive.

I even tried a third mouse (these are all optical).

I am using my original mouse now, which my son cleaned out (all that chocolate and 'what not' I eat got some residue in there). But it doesn't seem now (since he cleaned it) to be any different from the two other optical mouses I've tried.

I bought and installed a PCI board with USB Host connections. That worked for a while (again, maybe half an hour or so) and then started doing same thing it did before.

Since using USB connections on the back of my computer case, and they seem to work no differently than the two ports on the front of my case, I use the ones on the front, since they are much more easily and readily accessible (to pull out and put in again) when I use only the USB connection.

Two or three days ago, another employee of my business neighbor said it could be a software problem. He suggested me exiting from programs that have icons on my taskbar at the bottom of my screen. I exited from HOTKEY. That worked--but this time, for a few hours (3 or 4). The HOTKEY icon appeared again, and I experienced problems again. I exited again, and that worked for a short while. Then, even though the icon did not reappear, the mouse connection kept dropping, and ever with increased frequency.

My business neighbor and his one employee mused it could be Power, or RAM, or, as I mentioned corrupted conflicting software.

As it is for many of you, my computer is my lifeline. I use it for my small business day after day. I have lots of information and programs on it (artwork stuff like Illustrator & Photoshop).

I will mention that I often get to having 10 - 20 icons open on my taskbar at a given time.

I like cheap solutions. But "cheap" is only so if it is effective. Any help any of you might give me, I would be most grateful!

Thanks,

SmallBizGuy

2. SmallBizGuy

SmallBizGuy Thread Starter

I should mention too that I have not (to my recollection) added any software or hardware (other than trying the 2 other optical mouses) of late. This problem just seemed to come out of the blue.

I use XoftSpy and Ad-Aware, and run Ad-Aware every day, and get frequent updates. I run XoftSpy maybe twice a week, and rarely get more than 4 or so cookies that Ad-Aware either misses (or puts on) my machine. So there appear to be no viruses, worms or trojans that I can detect.

Thanks again, "guys"!

SmallBizGuy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice