1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Mouse keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heleneh, Feb 16, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. heleneh

heleneh Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8076 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 585 GB (493 GB Free);
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hello,
    My USB Logitech mouse (wired) keeps disconnecting, then reconnecting. It makes the 'sound' like unplugging and replugging a peripheral. It happens on both the right and left ports. If I secure the wire 'just so', so it does not move, I can get things working for a while.

My wireless Gear Head mouse also is having problems. It seems to get stuck, then unstuck. It does not make the 'sound' like the Logitech mouse does. This also happens on the left and right port.

I am wondering if there is an event that is logged that would help pinpoint the nature of the problem?

Or, of course, any other expert advice you can provide?

Thank you so much

2. Sponsor

3. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

It sounds to me like the Logitech mouse has a flakey wire in the cable and the Gear Head mouse gets "stuck" due to other Windoze problems.

4. heleneh

heleneh Thread Starter

any way to fix the windows problem so i can use the Gear Head mouse?

5. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

6. heleneh

heleneh Thread Starter

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

If you start the task manager (right-click on the taskbar) and then choose show processes from all users, how many are running?
    Also, what is the make and complete model number of the PC?

8. heleneh

heleneh Thread Starter

Also, ESET scan found zero threats.

There are 5 apps running, 86 tasks

Toshiba Satellite L855 - S5383

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  9. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The i7-3630qm is an acceptable performer; but, a few questions:
    Did you upgrade to Windows 10 or are you still running Windows 8?
    Do these pauses occur online and have you tried doing something entirely local, like WordPad?

We should also check your hard disk drive and I wrote this a while ago to help people:

If your PC is running slow or has issues with suddenly freezing, a very common cause, these days, is a failing hard disk drive and a dirty little secret is that hard disk drives are outrageously fragile when they are running. An overly simple explanation is that they are seven times more fragile than a raw egg and even the slightest bump can hurt them. The problem is so rampant that virtually all newer drives have a shock sensor who's purpose is to record excessive shocks so the manufacturer can tell you that your warranty has been voided.

Luckily, there is a relatively easy way to find out if this is what's going on. Go to http://www.hdtune.com/download.html and download hdtunepro_560_trial.exe which is free for 15 days. I'd suggest you save it before you install it; but, either way, you need to install it and run it.

Look first on the Health tab. The most important numbers are what is in the data (fourth) column for (05) Reallocated Sector Count and (C5)Current Pending Sector. If either one of them is not zero, plain and simple, the drive is failing. As long as it's there, you might want to look at (BF) G-sense Error Rate. The number in the data (fourth) column is how many times the drive has detected excessive shocks.

Even if (05) and (C5) are zero, I would strongly suggest for you to go to the Error Scan tab and run it by clicking Start. It may take hours if you have a one or two TerraByte drive; but, that is the surest test to verify the drive's operation. If even one red box appears, you found the reason why your PC is freezing.

10. heleneh

heleneh Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. This goes back to my original question: " I am wondering if there is an event that is logged that would help pinpoint the nature of the problem? "

I am running Windows 8.1 , the trouble occurs also when doing something entirely local like excel, or desktop navigation.

I downloaded and ran your tool The error scan shows no damaged blocks. I have attached downloads from the error scan tab and the health tab. Not sure how to interpret?

Attached Files:

11. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Your first image shows 6 Reallocated sectors which is an indication that the drive is beginning to fail. Sometimes, if you watch the "Scanning speed" listed in the error scan while it runs, I have seen an area where it drops dramatically (i.e. 78 down to 3) and, if that were the case on your PC, would completely explain pauses, lags, and freezes while Windows tries to access part of the drive which is having problems.
    Remember that everything creates temporary files and trying to do so in a damaged area on the drive can turn a race car into a tricycle.

12. heleneh

heleneh Thread Starter

24 hours ago, I started using a brand new Asus wired mouse, and the problem instantly went away.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185436