1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse keeps malfunctioning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Epicbubblez500, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Epicbubblez500

Epicbubblez500 Thread Starter

My mouse will stop then turn back on and at its worse all my usb stuff will fail and nothing will work so i will have to restart my pc just for it to happen again. I think my Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller has something to do with it because it has a ! next to it. any help would be appreciated

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

I take it the ! is in device manager and you're using a USB mouse...
    Sounds like a driver issue. Which gives you two options
    1. Open device manager, open Universal Serial Bus controllers tab, Right click on each driver thats listed with a make (eg intel) not any generic hub, properties, drivers, update drivers, search automatically.... This will allow you computer to try and find the correct drivers on the web.
    2. Download the latest driver, uninstalling the old one and installing the new one.
    Find the latest driver from the manufactures website (if its a prebuilt computer from dell, hp etc you will find the correct drivers on their websites listed under chipsets.. if you have self built computer you will find them on the motherboard manufactures website).

If you're confident in finding the correct drivers yourself I would do the second option. (Someone may link you the correct site if you let us know what make and model motherboard you have, you can use the techguy system info for this http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe post the results back here)

3. Epicbubblez500

How do i know if its intel?

4. Dougx789

Dougx789

When you open device manager, click on the symbol next to Universal Serial Bus Controller. This will bring up a sub list. You should have multiple items listed here. Some of them should have a similar name as in this picture http://www.question-defense.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/device-manager-usb-devices.gif
    As you can see in the picture linked above there are 5 items listed as Intel(R) 82801G...
    Yours may not be intel (or listed as intel) depending on which drivers you currently have installed and what chipset you got.
    These are the items you need to make sure have the correct drivers in order for you USB plug-ins to work correctly.

As said above to advise you with the correct driver/manufacturer of chipset we will need to know what computer you have. Make and model if it has one or motherboard make and model if you have built the computer yourself.

5. Epicbubblez500

6. Dougx789

Dougx789

You can also look at what processor you have... If you have an intel processor you will have an intel chipset or AMD processor and AMD chipset.. (unless you have a very, very old computer ie pre 1997). You will be able to tell which processor you have by right-clicking on my computer and selecting properties.

7. Dougx789

Dougx789

The standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller are the two you need to make sure you have the correct driver for.

Edit:
    Sorry just seen what you were talking about in your first post.. The Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller with the exclamation mark next to it under other devices...

If you select the driver tab and tell it to find drivers automatically from the web.. Does it do this or do you get an error message?

8. Dougx789

Dougx789

You need to download the correct chipset drivers for you motherboard and install them.

Without you letting me know what computer/motherboard you have I'm not going to be able to help you.

9. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Yes you're missing 3 drivers. Ethernet, USB Controller and your SM Bus Controller. You will continue to have issues until you install those drivers.

10. Epicbubblez500

My system modle is gateway DX4860

11. Epicbubblez500

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4000 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1808 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 939431 MB, Free - 649674 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, IPISB-VR
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated and Enabled

12. Simba7

Simba7

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

14. Epicbubblez500

which usb driver?

15. Simba7

Simba7

One word of advice, don't mention pirating software in here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice