1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse/Keyboard freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uiokie, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uiokie

uiokie Thread Starter

Hallo

I just bought a new Dell XPS pc a few days ago and it seems (or seemed) great. However, a few days after buying it, my mouse and keyboard would freeze up; though, the background would keep going and wasn't static - this led to me assuming that i just had to replug the mouse and keyboard and that the whole computer wasn't frozen. This was not the case 100%. I tried replugging things, but once replugged, the mouse and keyboard totally shut off and were only activated once again when restarting the computer.

And to maybe take out several culprits, I doubt I have a virus since the scan showed up nothing and I never installed anything. Also, it's not anything application-specific that I'm aware of since this happens anytime and I never installed anything else that was special (other than my wireless adapter for the internet).

I have an optical Dell mouse and a Dell multimedia keyboard.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Try replacing the keyboard (especially if it is a PS/2). If the new keyboard has the same problem, the issue is with the driver or the port. If the problem goes away, the problem is with the keyboard.

FYI: Almost no one sticks with the keyboard or mouse that came with their system. It's usually the first thing replaced. I currently use a Logitech Illuminated keyboard and a Logitech G9 Laser mouse.

Courtney

3. uiokie

uiokie Thread Starter

Unfortunately, that did nothing - the problem still occurs.

And although off topic somewhat with this post, my computer also is freezing at least once every two days of login - for a new computer, I wouldn't expect this to happen?

Also, my wireless internet adapter (Linksys) keeps shutting off, and I've tried other adapters and had the same issue; the only way to restart the internet is to reboot my computer - this is very tedious. No, there are no phones, microwaves, or miscelaneous things which could intertwine with the connection and the modem is less than 30 ft away. I only stay connected for about 5-15 minutes before I have to reboot my system.

FYI, I have windows Vista and the internet is probably highest priority to get fixed since it happens so frequently.

And sorry for the duplicate problems, just I didn't feel like spamming two other threads when this one is already active.

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse wont be redetected by Windows until reboot if they became disconnected while the PC was on . How is the keyboard connected ? PS/2 , USB or if wireless through which port ?

Re wireless network , it doesnt have to be a domestic device causing interference (and it does sound like interference unless you are continually having to reinstal the driver) but could be a neighbouring network on the same channel . Try logging on to your router and changing the broadcast channel .

5. uiokie

uiokie Thread Starter

Keyboard and mouse are usb - hasn't happened for a while though.

And how do I change the broadcast channel through the router?

Thanks.

6. nessyguin

nessyguin

Hopefully a Windows Update corrected what sounds like a USB controller issue . Not wanting to tempt fate but if it does happen again and mouse/keyboard aren't recognised try attaching a different USB device before rebooting to see if that is recognised .

Check your manual for how to log in to your router . Use a wired connection . It's usually www.routerlogin.net , I think . There will be a default user name and password for your brand of router unless these have been changed .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice