1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mouse & keyboard in safe mode only???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxtex, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxtex

maxtex Thread Starter

Hi, i'm new so please bear with me...
    I'm working on a Dell WebPC(500mhz) someone gave me (now i see why)...
    running win98se...
    If you're familiar with dells webpc you probably know it only has 3 usb ports & no ps2 ports...i got a usb to ps2(x2) adaptor to connect a mouse & keyboard...the system reconizes the keyboard but not the mouse...ok, i used a usb mouse instead...NOW...
    the mouse & keyboard work fine in SAFE mode only....in Normal mode neither work.?
    I tried control panel>add new hardware but it says i can't add hardware in safe mode.
    :( what do i do:confused:
    I hope this is a dumb question with an easy answer(y)
    Thanx 4 any help.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Firstly, unless the mouse and keyboard were designed to work with the PS2 adapter, they may not.

The device electronics has to support it, and some mice and keyboards simply don't

Have you loaded the Dell motherboard chipset drivers? The default Windows ones sound as though they are not helping

3. maxtex

maxtex Thread Starter

Thanx for the response, i assumed the keyboard & mouse would work in normal mode since they do in safe mode (this is how little i know)...it's an old IBM keyboard & a comfour unimouse so compatability could definately be an issue.
    I don't know about the drivers, i do have the dell drivers/utilities CD...but, it says i must boot the comp using the cd...something else i don't know how to do...i don't have a users manual...:(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice