Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse/Keyboard won’t work when Win7 boots (New z309 MB)

2K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
(New MSI MEG Ace Z390 MB)

So I had to make some changes to my build after my last MB took a crap. I left my old hard drive in with Windows 7 installed.

In BIOS the mouse and keyboard work just fine. I have them plugged into the USB 2.0 slots, with all the USB options enabled in the BIOS.

When I get to the log in screen on Win7, my M/Kb stop working completely. I understand that new MBs dont want to support Win7, but I need to backup my files and things from my HD before I upgrade to Windows 10.

Is there anything I can do to get them working? Maybe somehow installing some sort of driver from a USB stick?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
MSI MEG Z390 ACE Motherboard (support site)
That motherboard supports only 8th and 9th generation Intel processors.
That motherboard supports only Windows 10 64-bit.

If I understand you correctly, you want to boot from your hard drive that has Windows 7 installed in it, then remove some personal data from it, then install Windows 10 64-bit in it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Yes, that's correct. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm aware this CPU/MB doesn't support Win7, however, I've seen online that that people have gotten it to work. I've just been having trouble narrowing down exactly how with this specific MB

Do you have access to a 2nd PC....tower preferably? If so just pull the HDD and install in 2nd tower. Then back up any data from old HDD to a USB, 32 GB or larger. Then remove drive, reattach to your system and do a clean install of windows 10.
I have an external HD that I was planning on transferring the data onto. But no, I don't have access to a second tower PC. Just a laptop

#7 ·
I thought that this would be self explanatory.....but, here we go.

Once the upgrade from 7 to 10 is done, then back up all your data you want to save....ie documents, pictures, videos, programs, save them to a USB or external HDD. Then do the clean install of 10....and then add your data back.

#10 ·
I thought that this would be self explanatory.....but, here we go.

Once the upgrade from 7 to 10 is done, then back up all your data you want to save....ie documents, pictures, videos, programs, save them to a USB or external HDD. Then do the clean install of 10....and then add your data back.
The reason it wasn't self explanatory is because I've never used Win10, so I didn't know if I would have the option to backup all my data (pictures/videos/programs/etc) AFTER installing the new OS. I figured I may no longer have access to things or somehow they may get moved or corrupted.

#8 ·
MSI MEG Ace Z390 MB
I agree readily that you can back up data and then reinstall on the new clean install of 10
I did NOT know that you could back up - apps or programs and then reinstall them
You can certainly backup files from the programs or apps but not, as far as I know the actual program itself

Also I will of course stand corrected but
If the PC in question now still works with windows 7. I would upgrade it to windows 10 using the MCT from MS. Once the upgrade is complete and verified....then using said tool and create a bootable USB, then when the new mobo/cpu is installed.....boot from USB and do a clean install of windows 10.
I think the new motherboard IS the one in use NOW, as the reason the board was replaced in that the original one would not even post

#9 ·
Tr4ne
when I resume after evening meal I will guide you as to the best way - if necessary

#12 ·
You MAY have a real problem here
Is the CPU the 4th generation
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor
8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz

that was in the failed board

#13 ·
You MAY have a real problem here
Is the CPU the 4th generation
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor
8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz

that was in the failed board
I changed my board and my cpu. Yes the cpu you have bolded was my old cpu, now I have a 9700k.

I understand that it's not compatible with Windows 7 out of the box, but after doing research I've seen many people have found way to get it working on other Z390 motherboards. However I haven't found much for my specific MSI board

#14 ·
OK I thought you must have changed it, as the 4th generation cpu would NOT I think have even booted the system

There are a number of ways to about this
In brief, as this is certainly going to turn out into a LONG topic.

1. The USB ports on that computer are
IntelR Z390 Chipset
6x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) ports
(4 Type-A ports on the back panel, 2 Type-C internal
connectors)

8x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (4 Type-A ports on
the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal
USB 2.0 connectors)

ASMediaR ASM1042 Chipset
4x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports available
through the internal USB connectors

ASMediaR ASM3142 Chipset
2x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) ports (1x
Type-A, 1x Type-C) on the back panel

Try this it is a long shot, but MAY work
Disconnect MOUSE from its port and connect it to the ASmedia Type A on the back panel
THAT is the one below the LAN connection

Back at log on screen - IF the mouse stays active - click on the ease of access icon bottom left corner of screen and click type without keyboard

#15 ·
Re above if that does not work, then there are four remaining MAIN ways to tackle it
1. Another drive - install 10 does not need licence key you can use not activated windows 10
access present drive from 10 and copy data from windows 7 - only your personal data to flash pen/s OR to an external drive if you have one

2. Boot LINUX from USB and running Linux in ram access drive and copy data

Following both of those procedures you can then boot from windows 10 DVD and CLEAN install 10 on the present windows 7 drive and then copy your personal data back

3. Boot from windows 10 install media and providing it sees your drive - which I think it will you can recover your data using notepad cmd
I will of course guide you on that

4. Easier way , but needs you to use an other computer - including laptop in enclosure - copy data and clean install 10 to the drive when back in this computer

#16 ·
I've tried a few different USB slots, but I'll try again with the one you mentioned.

In the meantime, I was able to install a new M2 SSD that I got today, so I was going to install Windows 10 on that drive, then just pull all my data from my Win7 drive and back it up.

However, now I'm having an issue with the Windows 10 install. Everything seems to be fine until I get to the screen where I have to choose a specific drive to install Windows on.

When I choose the new SSD (Unallocated Space) and click next, the PC freezes, and the mouse arrow turns into a "loading" hourglass.

weird

#17 ·
#18 ·
It do believe the BIOS that's currently on there was dated 2018, I'll check and see, then I'll make a USB to flash the BIOS. Do you think this will help with the freezing issue during Win10 installing? Or do you think this will help to gain access to my Win7 boot HDD?

#19 ·
it will not help with mouse and keyboard on 7
I expect it to help with the M2

When you reply please just type in box that appears AFTER my post
there is no benefit in clicking reply on my post, that as you will have seen quotes back all I post to you

#21 ·
So where are you going now then

#22 · (Edited)
I was never able to fix the original problem. No Windows 7 drivers and my MB doesn’t have the round PS2 mouse/keyboard ports.

I installed Win10 on a new SSD, then pulled all my files/videos/pictures/etc from my old HDD before I reformatted it. Now I’ll use it for extra storage.

You CANT keep your files and data with the Windows 10 upgrade unless you boot into Windows 7 first. Booting straight from a USB/DVD eliminates the option to save all your files/software.

Thanks again for the assistance. I’m now having some issues with the Nvidia GeForce Experience software (for my GPU), but I’ll save that for another post.

#27 ·
I do have it already (GeForce experience), but it’s not launching correctly and throwing up error codes. I tried every fix I could find online but nothing worked. It’s odd.

I’ll just uninstall it and check on drivers manually through their site

#28 ·
I know you have it but there is every chance the download of it was corrupted
If you do not want it - then that is OK and IMHO as I and my colleague said you do not need it
If you do want it you install it from the link I sent

#29 ·
I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, as well as doing a clean install where it removes any prior settings. I’ve also manually uninstalled the drivers as well, didn’t make a difference after reinstalling everything.

I’ll just ditch the software for now.

thanks again fellas

#30 ·
Mark it solved please, click mark solved on your opening post

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.