Mouse 'Mares ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grilledTomato

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me some advice as to what exactly is ailing my comp at the moment.
The most visible symptom is the mouse. The pointer is erratic and often stalls. I have cleaned both the mouse and registry (as per instructions given in a few other threads) but the problem remains.
A clean boot (OS = Win ME) or booting in safe mode will occasionally allow the mouse to work but only rarely. Sometimes the keyboard will not respond, often right after the pointer hangs, usually after heavy disk access which may be a vidcard issue (but I'm not sure).
The most annoying symptom is this : after hanging the mouse on the desktop and rebooting, the IRQ the mouse uses (12) will randomly (to my mind :D) be allocated to devices (modem, usb controller x 2) that usually use IRQ 5. Looking at the Device Manager right after such a boot shows that the mouse has disappeared and an unknown device is now using IRQ 5.

Being new to troubleshooting, I'm having a hard time isolating the fault. I'm fairly certain the hardware is good and the drivers are current. What I'm really looking for is someone to point me in the right direction (no pun intended).

Regards.

If your mouse is listed as an unknown device in device manager, You probably do not have the right driver for your mouse.

grilledTomato
Welcome to TSG!
Just a thought, if you are using a usb mouse and/or keyboard there is some issues bios/usb/mouse-keyboard dropping out and changing IRQ's. Have you tried the system using a serial mouse?
Dave

grilledTomato

Thanks for replying :)

I'm not sure about the mouse driver. The mouse itself is PS/2 and came with the system. It's standard (w/ wheel) and has no other identifying logos on it other than the company who sold the system. I've tried using the standard PS/2 port mouse driver and that works (sort of). The microsoft intellimouse driver also works.
I still don't know what is causing windows to undetect the mouse during a session and then fail to re-detect on boot.
Regardless, thanks again for your help. :)

grilledTomato

This problem has been solved.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but the mouse itself was faulty, probably a loose wire somewhere. I replaced the mouse and bingo. This was probably the first thing I should have tested instead of the last, hence my chagrin :rolleyes: .
Regedits, driver d/ls, manual assignments, bios flashes - ack. Slap me till your hand hurts.

With cheerful humility, much regards.

Welcome to the tail chasing society! We have all been there.
Glad you got it fixed!
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts