1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mouse - network = weird behavior

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rebootd, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebootd

rebootd Thread Starter

This problem concerns a customer of mine. I do not have access to his computer, as it is owned by his company and its use is heavily restricted (he can't even access Control Panel). I work for an ISP and installed for this customer a static IP with a Zyxel cablemodem/router, which is configured to be used as a cablemodem only, because it is connected to just one client (my customer's laptop.)
    The laptop is a Dell Latitude C610 with Windows XP Pro loaded, and is connected to a docking station that came with it (also from Dell). It has a Dell Ergonomic 1.2a USB Compatible Mouse that fits the docking station. All of this was set up brand new just a few days ago by his company. The drivers for it are installed, according to the customer. The customer called me and said that his mouse was jumping all over the place and that his own tech support had not been able to figure out why - they even dial-accessed into his machine and looked at the configuration. He also mentioned (finally) that his cable light was blinking, which means that his Zyxel modem was not online. As far as I know, the only time I have seen this kind of mouse behavior in the past, has been when the drivers were not installed for the docking station mouse. I said that as far as I know the network connection should have nothing to do with the mouse working properly or not, but that the cable modem should be online all the time - and tried to explain how a static IP works. He *says* he didn't disconnect it, but I do know that he has disconnected it once already, and that he also shuts down and disconnects his laptop every night. I asked him to reboot the Zyxel cable modem anyway, to get it back online. It came back online immediately no problem, but, as soon as it did, and this is the weird part: his mouse began to behave normally. Since he was happy he could finally get to work again, I left it at that, but now I want to know if anyone out there knows why the heck this mouse should in any way be affected by the network connection? It makes no sense to me, and I am mystified. Help?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is the cable modem also USB?

3. Del

Del

Yes, USB modems like to hog most of the power from the USB port. The other thing, is the mouse, is it an optical mouse, if so, make sure he is not using it on a reflective surface as it will jump all over the place as mine did/

4. rebootd

rebootd Thread Starter

No this is not a USB modem. It is a Zyxel four-port ethernet router/cablemodem, set up as cablemodem only. Ethernet.

5. frogpb

frogpb

Found your article. My problem is that my husband is able to control my cursor from another room. He is on a Compaq Laptop and I just purchase an HP Pavilion. Had Networking prior to purchase of new computer and wasn't having this problem. Router is from Netgear and modem Netopia Cayman 341. We both have infored mouse control-"Yahoo" no other mfr. listed. and I have Airboard wireless keyboard from PC Concepts-also infored control w/mouse-neither of these products have visible re-set buttons so cannot re-set anything. Netgear says not their problem. HP says not their problem. Would it help if I purchased two PS2 to USB adapters for these two products and perhaps if I change my hook up it will help. I have no effect on his computer. Really baffling. I have XP Home. His is ME.

6. rebootd

rebootd Thread Starter

frogpb, you might have better luck with your question by posting it as it's own thread. If you post your question as an answer to someone else's problem, it may go overlooked. This is an older post that won't get looked at as soon as a new one will. The only reason I saw it is because it is set to email me when someone replies to my question. (You said your mice are both Infrared - they control by line-of-sight signal so I am not surprised that one can control the other's mouse - change the connection type on one of them if it is a problem. As to why it only goes one-way, it might have to do with how the laptop is positioned, or some software is blocking it on his, who knows.

7. frogpb

frogpb

DID A NEW THREAD THIS AM AS "INFORED". ALSO TOOK SUGGESTION OF TECH AT BEST BUY WHERE I PURCHASED COMPUTER AND ATTACHED A WIRED MOUSE TO MY PC-AN HOORAY!!!-TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM. I WILL NOW PURCHASE A RADIO CONTROL WIRELESS MOUSE. I HAVE NOW ABOUT 6 DIFFERENT ONES TO PUT IN GARAGE SALE.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice