1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse not being recognized...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hayashi_Levi, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hayashi_Levi

Hayashi_Levi Thread Starter

Hey everyone,
    my apologieze if there's been a recent thread about this... I rooted through the last few pages and didn't see anything... and, to me honest, I"m in a hurry.

My Roomate has a computer. It's a monster hashed together from many diffrrent parts and it generally works well. It's a decently new installl of Windows XP pro--somewhere back in January or February, I beleive, but my roomate doesn't use his computer heavily at all... the occasional PC game, but mostly for webbrowsing. So it's hardly cluttered with spyware and such (although I should run adaware and spybot over there some time soon jsut in case, BUT, I severly doubt that's the problem right now..)

See... a bit back, I was installing software over on his computer for him (win word, I belive...), and got pissd off at his old decrept keyboard. Half the keys don't work. He has a new keyboard sitting right there in box (he didn't want to use tht one because it wasn't 'clicky' enough and, more so... it wasn't red -_-) So I swapped them out for him. Yay! thekeyboard works.

but on my next reboot.. the mouse didn't. I reboot. Mouse works. Reboot. Moues doens't work. Reboot. Mouse works. etc.

Now... here's what I can think of... his optical mouse plugs into a serial port. his old keyboard did as well. thie new keyboard uses a usb port.

optical mouse still shows a light whenever the computer's on.. itjust doens't move or or acknowledge that it's connected until you restart the PC... then it'll work fine.

My initial thought was that the keyboard was draining too much energy on start up.... but he hasn't got alot attached to the computer (literally.. just the basics... keyboard, mousem monitor... net connection..)

anythoughts? I'd seriously love some help with this... I feel really bad watching him turn on the pc, then restart it immediatly...

Thanks! your help is vastly appreciated.

Jen

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Not sure if I'm following you, but you have 2 mice connected at the same time?

3. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi Jen,

Lets start with the basics, do you mean PS2 port when you say serial? PS2 is a mini din connector, green for moose, purple for keyboard.
    It seems a bit odd that XP is having trouble seeing two seperate devices on two seperate ports (USB and PS/2).
    Plug the old keyboard in, boot the machine, then, after it has fully finished booting, plug the USB keyboard in and see what XP does - thought bubbles will appear in the bottom right of the desktop.
    We may need you to go into the bios to enable the USB support before the OS starts to boot.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Check in the device manager, click view, show hidden devices, and see if there are any other "HID" devices loaded under "mouse". If so, uninstall them.

5. Hayashi_Levi

Sorry if I confused people... To sum:

I swaped a PS2 (and yes, yes I meant PS2.. I was tired and in a hurry earlier. Dunno what I was thinking with 'serial' though ^^; ) keyboard for a USB keyboard. Mouse never changed (it's a PS2 optical).

now... It's ot normally my thing to question advice offered, but..

I know as well as the next person that windows doens't always make sence... but, if the bios is currently not USB-enabled before the OS starts up, then woulldn't it be the keyboard that is not recognized on start up? THe mouse plugs into the PS2 port. More, the mouse works every other time the computer is started, near as I can figure.

I'm still going to try your advice with swapping the boards around... but I'm not sure this makes sence, or if people misunderstood me (very possible).. ...and if it does make sence still... I'd honestly be interested in an explaination why. I want to learn all I can about computers so that I don't have to rely on others when problems occur and so that I might help others more effectively.

6. Hayashi_Levi

to update.. I opened the device manager...

+ Human Interface Devices
    HID-complaiant device
    USB human Interface Device
    USB human Interface Device
    ? Other Devices
    ! Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

The last claims that there are not drivers installed for said device. Which rather leads me to belive that, yes, this is very much where the problem is (though it don't make /sence/ to me...) Either way, I need to get drivers installed for this spot... unfortuatly, there don't seem to be any hiding on the hard drive... so I confess to not being certain where one would get said drivers. I mean.. I don't know if USB drivers need manufacturer specific drivers or if there are just generic drivers one can use or.. whathave you..

incidentally, I did not switch keyboards around... though I rather suspect that it would work fine with the ps2 board. will poke at that if this doens't fix things...

Jen

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The USB controller drivers should be on the motherboard cd....or if it's an add-in USB card, there should be a driver cd with it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice