1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse not detected/keyboard not functioning/unable to get to start menu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coplover, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coplover

coplover Thread Starter

Looking for someone to assist an illiterate computer user!

I have a HUGE problem and am hoping someone will tell me it's NOT my motherboard and I'm just not computer savvy!

My computer was working fine (Win95). Hubby decided to turn it on and got a large static electric shock. The computer booted up just fine but when it got to the point where it was to load the desktop icons, taskbar, and such, all it did was load my wallpaper and display a "cute" little message. (Not so cute to me) The message said that windows was unable to detect a mouse. It also stated that I could turn the computer off to install a PS/2 mouse.

I checked the mouse connection and wire, they were fine. I rebooted thinking it was just a fluke. Same thing. I then decided I would reboot and try to enter the setup?(whatever it is called where you can choose to start in safe mode,ms-dos, create a bootlog etc) and maybe try safe mode or ms-dos. Upon rebooting and attempting to enter setup via F8 (this is the proper way to do it for my system), it acts as though it doesn't read the keyboard. Absolutely nothing happens.

When I power the computer on, the lights light up on the keyboard and promptly go out. Not even the numlock light stays lit. I have tried using various keys and combos to enter the setup to no avail. So it appears as though BOTH the keyboard and the mouse do not work on the computer any longer. (I am sure if/when I fix the mouse problem I will get a message saying the keyboard isn't detected next.

I have moved the mouse to my old computer and it works fine so I know it is not the mouse or the wire connected to it. I have tried using a different mouse that I know works fine, on the troubled computer and it will not work on that system.

My gut instinct is the static electricity probably shorted something on the motherboard. Hubby touched the mouse when he got the shock, thus I'm afraid it may have shorted something.

Can anyone confirm this or think of anything else for me to do. As I stated before I can't access anything, CMOS, start menu, files, etc. so I don't know if there is much I can try.

Thanks for taking the time to read my "novel" and hope someone can help!

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Hello Coplover.

Here's a couple of things to try. First try another keyboard if you have access to one. Next unplug the computer, remove the cover and clear the CMOS by either using the appropriate jumper or removing the battery for several hours. (It is best to find the jumper since it may take several days by just removing the battery.) While you have the cover off look for burned wires or places on the mobo. Also check all connections. If all else fails you might could get a USB keyboard and/or mouse to work. Hope this helps.

Kilowatt

3. coplover

coplover Thread Starter

kilowatt1,

Thanks for your speedy suggestions. I think I'm going to ammend your suggestion just a "tad" and have hubby do it, after all he is already in the dog house! LOL I will let you know what I turn up with your suggestions and thanks again!

4. carltasha

carltasha

im glad that i dont have that problem but Kilowatt has the right of it , after that its a new mobo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/79117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice