1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mouse not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FLYBY, Feb 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FLYBY

FLYBY Thread Starter

Ps/2 mouse not detected at startup. Yes, mouse is plugged in. "Add new hardware" does not find any new mouse. I can add the mouse myself in "Add new hardware", but mouse still not working. Device manager shows mouse with exclamation point icon. I removed the mouse in device mgr and restarted, still no mouse detected. Any suggestions?

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

Your mouse is not connected to an adapter is it?

Have you tried a different mouse?

Do you have a serial mouse you can try? The PS/2 mouse port may be bad.

3. FLYBY

FLYBY Thread Starter

Yes, i've tried 3 diff working mice and none are detected. Will a serial mouse work with a 25 pin port? the only 9 pin port i have is for an external modem.I have a 25 pin port available and I tried the ps/2 mouse with ps/2 to 9 pin to 25 pin adaptor and this did't work. i don't know if the 25 pin port is even active...how can i tell? thanks,

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, a 25 - 9 adapter is fine, but if the ps/2 - serial adapter didn't come with the mouse, it won't work. They are not all the same.

Telling if the port is active can be tricky if you don't have testing equipment. You can check in BIOS and make sure it is on, and in Windows you can check Device Manager, Ports to see if it is listed.

Neither of those tells you if it is really working though - just if the computer thinks it should.

You know the 9 pin port works, right? Why not unplug the modem for the moment and try a mouse there? If it works, then try it with the 25-9 adapter on the other port. If Windows doesn't find it, that port isn't working.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/35267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice