Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse: only scrolls (no click) keyboard: only windows key works. all fine in safemode

823 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Fat Taiko 
#1 ·
Reposted with more descriptive title:

Dear Forum goers,

Since rebooting today, my mouse and keyboard do not fully work. After start up, the mouse tracks but does not register clicks. The keyboard's windows key works and ctrl-alt-delete will bring up task manager, but I cannot select an icon by pressing the first letter; I cannot hit up or down arrows to navigate the start menu; I can't do anything but hard restart my computer.

Doing some initial research, the forums lead me to believe I had a driver problem. I started in safe mode, both the keyboard and mouse worked (keyboard works fine in BIOS). I uninstalled both drivers and restarted to find the exact same issue.

I had just plugged in my router (trying to connect another computer to the modem) and restarted my computer to attempt to detect the internet. I had no installed anything on my computer since last week. I had been attempting to run some sketchy programs that I had first run thru my virus checker (Norton Internet Security 2007 suite, fully updated). I suspect one of the two exes that passed the norton scan (so they were not promptly deleted) may have done this. I don't think I had restarted until now.

I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. I had searched the internet for about an hour before posting, not finding any similar issues. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this? I'd even take a proper keyword search for this issue. I've been using mouse + keyboard unresponsive (or not working). Mouse scrolls does not click. Win XP Mouse + keyboard troubleshoot. And similar.

I don't know if there's any other pertinent information to add. Please ask for any additional information and I'll attempt to post it quickly.

I'd prefer not to reformat and lose some of the data on my boot drive (both it and my data drive are about full), as well as go through the pain of reinstalling all my apps. That's what I've usually had to do in problems I couldn't work around before, and it's a real pain.

Thanks!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.