Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse pointer freezes when printing

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Ecowarrior 
#1 ·
I am running Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and upgraded my mouse to a basic optical mouse. My problem is that when I print a document the mouse pointer will freeze after a few minutes of printing. The only way I can "unfreeze" it is to do a hard shutdown by pushing the on-off button on my computer and then start it up again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Too make things easier ( I mean, to avoid modifying the bios setup, or hardware settings) I would buy a USB-to-PS2 adaptor for the mouse or a USB cable for the printer (if it supports one), then I would move on to check the printer driver, some printers have really annoying residents, taking up much more resources than expected and not using them properly , which sometimes could lead to problematic behavior for other resources. So, I'd only use the bare printer driver, without any other assistant/ink status, etc. Only what it needs to print, you can surely remove the printer's "helper" application from msconfig program.

#5 ·
Hi Ealgiros. Thanks for that info. I had an original prob with my mouse when it was connected to the PS/2 port where it would freeze on Startup. I had upgraded my OS from Win 98 SE to Win XP SP2 but this problem didn't occur until at least 2 or 3 weeks of OS usage. I went and bought a lazer optical Microsoft mouse and downloaded the Intellipoint updated drivers and plugged it into the PS/2 port using the adapter that came with the new mouse, but still the mouse would freeze. I then powered down my PC and plugged the mouse into the first USB port and it works fine on Startup, thank goodness. I just wanted to give you a bit of history into how this all started. My printer does have a USB port so I will try a new USB cable and see if that works. Thanks again for your help.

#6 ·
Hello Ealgiros

Well so far so good. I used a USB cable that came with my scanner and plugged it into my HP DeskJet 930C printer and tried printing from five different documents and areas and the mouse doesn't freeze. I like the non-intrusive approach that you suggested to this problem, I just didn't think of using the USB port on the printer.

I still though can't figure out why( if indeed this did fix it),is what has the Parallel cable connection got to do with the USB serial bus, but who cares as long as it works. I'll be keeping an eye on it just to make sure. Thanks again for your help. All I've got to do now is get a faster USB controller board to hook up all my other peripherals but that's another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.