1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse Pointer Frozen at XP Startup Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Inkpat, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

I am running Normal XP and the mouse pointer (serial Mouse) will not move. In fact, when the pointer is seen on the black monitor screen just before the startup list of names, (immediately after the Microsoft logo and blue dot loading indicator against the black background) the pointer is solid. I exchanged the mouse with one from another computer which I knew works, and it appears it is not the mouse's fault. Tried safe mode to do a system restore and no luck. How can I ascertain the problem without a mouse to navigate the menus?

2. mt2002

mt2002

Keyboard. You would use the tab key to move from one selection to another, and the arrow keys
    to navigate the selections. You would also use the windows key and alt to navigate the Start
    Menu and application menus. Followed by, of course Windows shortcuts.

Have you tried another USB port?

Also, how long have you waited (for the mouse being nonresponsive)? I noticed in
    alot of computers, Windows takes awhile to recognize USB devices at bootup (for some
    reason...go Microsoft). By "awhile", I mean about 2-3 minutes. If yours *never* gets
    recognized, this may not be the problem.

3. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

This is not a USB mouse....it plugs into the computer at the back with a red connector...I believe it's a serial port.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There are 3 types of wired mice.

Serial (RS232)
    USB
    PS2

You mention that yours is "serial" connected. This type of mouse is VERY old and relies on DOS drivers, it would be hit and miss in XP which has no DOS underlying the operating system.

Can you confirm what the connection type actually is, if it really is "serial" (RS232) then you need a more modern mouse that uses USB or PS2.

I suspect that you really don't mean serial, but we should clear that up first?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A round connector?
    Sounds like PS2, thats certainly not serial.

6. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

It is a PS2 mouse!

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I see you had not mentioned it but in another thread of yours this problem appeared to be emerging as a "jumpy mouse".

Perhaps that was the emergence of a failing motherboard component in the PS2 mouse port circuitry?

I would suggest trying a USB mouse, if the PS2 port has indeed failed you have no other viable option.

8. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

I tried a USB mouse and the pointer still would not move; also a PS2 mouse from another computer which I knew was functioning and the pointer didn't budge.

9. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

Just a few minutes ago, I was able to go to the Control Panel, migrate to the Mouse Icon and checked the driver status. No driver shows up. Could my mouse driver be corrupted and how would I be able to reinstall it without a mouse? Is there a way this can be done using the "run" command and bringing up the dos-style window with various commands?

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have never had a recent PC (and yours is recent enough, running XP) that needed a mouse driver to have the basic functions recognised. The Windows default ones usually work OK.

But try a System File Check, that works from the Run command

Start - Run - Type:

SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /scannow.
    The command is not case sensitive.
    If there is just a flash and nothing happens, it was entered incorrectly
    If you get it right, a windows appears with a progress bar, it takes a while to complete.
    When finished it just disappears, try a reboot then.

let us all know how you get on.

11. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

I performed the System File Check. Rebooted. The mouse pointer still does not respond.

12. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

Would reinstalling the mouse drivers get it to function? The computer works fine with the exception of the mouse! The pointer does not move beginning with the log in screen list of names.

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I would certainly try it. But I would be surprised if it was that simple, plus I had rather assumed that would have been attempted at the outset before anything else.

14. Inkpat

Inkpat Thread Starter

The problem has been solved. The actual mouse was defective. Couple that with corrupting the mouse software and it was a double negative situation. I purchased a new mouse, installed the required software and all is well. Thanks for your suggestions.

15. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Well done!

The dual problem would have been the issue!
    I usually only get about 1 year from a mouse.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice