1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by realdealgman, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. realdealgman

realdealgman Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am using Windows XP on an AMD XP 2700+
    I have 1GB RAM

The problem is while using my optical mouse I sometimes get a jump in the cursor. For instance. When moving my mouse around the pointer will suddenly shoot to the bottom of the screen. It does this quite frequently. This is annoying when playing video games. The problem happens all the time. I have an IBM optical and Microsoft optical and it happens to both mice. The problem happens while moving my mouse in video games and during normal windows operations, esentially all the time. Could this be a driver problem? I don't think so. I use the updated drivers from the respective sources. (IBM and Microsoft). Please Help.

RDGM

2. omegax

omegax

I have noticed this is a real problem with most optical mice. It has something to do with the way it tracks. This happens quite frequently on my cheaper no-name mouse, but it has never happened on my Logitech mouse. Only thing I could suggest is try a different brand, more expensive model, or possibly a dual optical mouse.

----------------------------------------------
    omegax
    www.computer-discounts-guide.com

3. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

Some older optical mice didnt work well with xp, i had a older microsoft one that did the same thing with xp got a newer one and it works fine.

4. Ash_11

Ash_11

If it's happening on both mice, I would suspect the surface your using your mouse on. Are you using a 3d mouse pad, or one with a picture of some sort on it? Are you using it on your desk, does the desk have wood grain? This would all do it.

Try it on a plain white piece of paper for a while and see if that makes a difference?

5. realdealgman

realdealgman Thread Starter

Ok that did it, nice. It was the wood grain. I placed a white piece of paper and constantly moved the mouse fast and all around and it didnt take off or shoot away. Thanks for your help.

6. *ne0n*

*ne0n*

I would suggest thoroughly cleaning your surface (finished wood works best) then using your optical on it with no mouse pad (optical or not) at all. I've been doing this for 3 years now, and my optical still works perfectly. I've had XP for around 3 months now, and I can't recall it EVER jumping.

Just a suggestion though, try turning down your mouse sensitivity. While this won't make it stop jumping completely, it may reduce how far it goes. Just a thought.

7. Ash_11

Ash_11

No problem realdealgman, you may want to invest in a nice mouse pad designed for optical mice. They are all over the net. It's a cheaper alternative then getting a new desk, hehehe

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice