1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mouse problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by indigowindow, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indigowindow

indigowindow Thread Starter

the left click function of the mouse is acting very quirky, like it's signals are shorting out. more often than not it won't drag anything. a single click sometimes shorts out into a double click or even a triple click. when i try to highlight text it doesn't stay highlighted.

what i've tried so far to fix it:
    1. rebooted in safe mode and removed mouse from device mgr, then rebooted.
    2. moved the slider for double click speed all the way to slow in the mouse controls in the control panel.
    3. tried another mouse.

so far nothing has worked.

i'm running windows98se with IE 5.1

2. Dan O

Dan O

What are brand of the mice you tried and driver you are using?

3. indigowindow

they are both microsoft mice. one is a ball mouse, the other has a scroll wheel. i also tried extracting the drivers mouse.drv and msmouse.vxd from the installation disc. it didn't make any difference. then i removed the mouse from device mgr(again) and rebooted. still no improvement.

there is also mouse\0000 listed as a driver in system information, but i don't know what that refers to.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Try the Intellimouse driver. Go to Device Manager, select update driver, and select it. Or try a Logitech driver. If they don't work go to MS-DOS mode and run Mouse.com and test it. You may have a port problem.

5. indigowindow

intellimouse is not in the system so i would have to install it from a disk.

how do i test mouse.com in ms-dos?

6. Dan O

Dan O

Run any DOS application, such as EDIT, and test to see if the mouse works.

7. indigowindow

unless i'm missing something, the mouse doesn't normally work in dos. you have to be more explicit re exactly what you want me to do.

8. Dan O

Dan O

You're are correct, which is why I suggested running Mouse.COM, it a DOS mouse driver. Check your hard drive and floppies for it or Mouse.EXE. If you cannot find it you can download it from the Internet. Remember it only to test if the mouse port has a problem, not to correct the problem with Windows. I am sorry if I confused you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice