1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by guitarist968, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

I got a Win 98 computer with Pentium 3 700mhz processor.

The mouse stopped moving earlier today, so I replaced it. (I have a lot of working mouses cause I got quite a few computers.) The same thing then happened a hour later after it was restarted. Then just now, I replaced the mouse again. A bunch of windows of different programs started popping up randomly. It was like the mouse was clicking repeadetly, but I wasn't clicking it.

The wierd thing is that the mouses work for about 10 minutes before the problem happens.

I know the 3 mouses work because I tested them on other computers. Could someone please help me??

2. guitarist968

please help

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. IF you happen to be using a proxy server, please mention it in your post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

4. guitarist968

ok heres another problem-when i download and unzip hijack this, it always has an error message saying: "A required .DLL file, MSVBVM60.DLL, was not found."

this has happened before with hijack this. what do i do?

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

MSVBVM60.DLL error messages are usually a problem associated with a Visual Basic runtime error

Download the MS visual basic 6.0 runtime files

Save to disk, double click, and let it install.

Restart your computer, and test your browser and see if you can unzip and run HJT

6. guitarist968

i tried your link on 2 of my computers and it didnt work.

i went to microsoft's website and searched for it under downloads. i found it but it was not 6.0, it was 5.0. i did download and install it, restarted the computer, but i got the same error message.

what should i do?

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

OK, BOTH links should now work.

9. guitarist968

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 1:43:05 PM, on 9/22/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISUM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\CCPXYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC\LIVEUPDATE\ALUNOTIFY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Nisum] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccPxySvc] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\CCPXYSVC.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe
    O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37882.7027546296

10. guitarist968

what should i do to fix the mouse? it is constantly moving and clicking after about 3 minutes of booting up. i dont even touch it and it still happens.

11. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

12. guitarist968

i already ran my norton anti-virus. is that just as good?

13. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Let's run one of those just to get a "second opinion"

14. hewee

hewee

Have you reinstall the mouse software?

I have a Logitech mouse and it works great. Using the very same mouse that came with my old IBM back in 1997. :D
    When I got a new PC I had made I hate the mouse that came with it and hooked my old Logitech cordless up. But it was using the Windows 98 mouse software and did not work good at all. I was able to get the software that came with the old IBM mouse and installed it and now all is great. I even igraded the mouseware software yester from verion 7 to 9 but it was not as good so I uninstalled it and went back to version 7. What to use the same mouse with 2000 pro but the software that came with the mouse will not work so that was why I got the new version. But it works better then using the software that 2000 pro has for the mouse. Still it does not work very good under 2000 so I will have to get a new mouse for 2000 pro. :(

15. guitarist968

i ran the virus scan and my system seems clean.

the point about reinstalling the mouse software, how do i do that? i am just using some old no name mouse. but i have tried 3 of them and none work. they work on other computers though.

so how do i install the mouse software or whatever it is?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice