1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lovemuffin, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lovemuffin

lovemuffin Thread Starter

I had problems with my mouse for a couple of months. I would shut down the computer, and the mouse wouldn't work upon boot-up. I would shut down 3 or 4 times just to get the mouse to work.

I took my computer to our local store, and they told me that the problem was the mouse (ps/1) port had gone bad and the only thing I could do was replace the motherboard.

He suggested that I try another mouse in the USB port before having the motherboard replaced at $150.00.

The USB mouse works fine upon boot and everything.

The problem I am having now is that every time I use my printer, the mouse freezes up and I have to do a hard boot to get it working again.

Anyone know what is causing this? I am using a logitech scroll mouse.

Thank you in advance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I had a simular problem on my laptop the mouse on the laptop would not work intermittently after reboot, I eventually fixed it by see thread http://forums.techguy.org/t215668.html
    reloading the driver fixed the mouse problem.

Is the printer also connected via USB?

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Has it done this since you got the USB mouse? or is it a more recent problem?
    Have you changed printers? or made any other USB related hardware changes?
    Are your USB devices plugged directly into the motherboard? PCI slot? Hub?
    WHat Operating System are you using?

4. lovemuffin

I am using Windows XP. Never had this problem until I switched to the USB mouse. It plugs directly into the port. The first mouse I had wouldn't work when I reboot the computer, so I went with the USB mouse, and everything works except when I print, it freezes up. Nothing has changed except for the mouse. The printer is connected to the LP1 port.

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Ok, you answered 2 of the questions.......................
    I'll rephrase a few......

Did it ever work with the USB mouse? (print w/o locking)
    Have you changed printers? or other USB devices?
    What port? directly on the motherboard? an add on card?
    Also do you have SP1 installed?

6. lovemuffin

I just got the mouse yesterday, and it has froze every time I tried to print.
    I have not changed the printer or anything, just connected this new mouse to the USB port in the back of the computer. It just plugs into the port.
    I am not familiar with an SP/1

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

SP1 = Service Pack 1 for Windows XP

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. It should tell you under the Windows XP version.

If you don't have it, run a Windows Update while online.

Was there a mouse driver that came with this USB mouse? If so, I'd try removing it and reinstalling.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is your printer connected via USB? If so it may be and IRQ conflict causing the problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice