1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oneSorcerer, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer Thread Starter

So the other day my Microsoft brand USB mouse just up and quit. I thought it might just be the port so i tried it in all the other usb ports, no good. I saw a quick flash of an error message, and it said something about being unable to install.

Anyway, I went out and bought a new mouse, plugged 'er in and while it was doing the device install, an error message pops up saying

"Windows found drivers for your hardware but encountered problems installing it.

Kensington HID PilotOpticalPro

The installation driver for this device is missing a nessecary entry. This may be because the INF was written for windows 95 or later." thats basically what it says.

so if anyone knows whats goin on, and can help me please do. Loggin on here without a mouse is not fun.

2. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

What version of windows are you running? XP with SP 2 will use the USB port properly.

If your system has a round mouse port, use the usb/ps-2 adapter that came with your mouse and plug it into the round port. Windows should see that right away. If you don't have an adaptor, Radio Shack or Wal-Mart may have them.

Connect the mouse with the system completely shut down. I know usb is supposed to be hot swap, but it's best to be careful.

Go to device manager and remove the entry for the mouse. I know that's no fun without a mouse, but it's possible. You need to remove the previous device driver. Use the cursor and tab keys to navigate.

If the other mouse uses a ball, remove the ring and clean the poor thing out. Duster spray and a small blade screwdriver work great for scraping the crud off of the rollers. Also clean your mouse pad.

Yes, optical mouses get dirty, too. Clean them too.

3. oneSorcerer

Thanks for the reply. I'm running Vista home premium, the root of most of my computer problems, but it was too expensive to get rid of. Brand new out of the box and the mouse wouldn't work.

I called Kensington and they said the the 5 button mouse support will never work on vista and they are not planning to update software (they did however say that the mouse should work like a normal 3 button mouse, but it didn't work at all), so I took the mouse back and am going to look for another one tonight.

I will try the device manager scenario first when I get home. If the new one I get still doesn't work I'll report here first for I may have a graver problem than I expected.

thanks for the input.

4. oneSorcerer

I found out that if I uninstall the drivers that are there, shut down my computer, plug the mouse in, turn it on, and boot up the mouse will work for like 20 seconds. and when it stops working maybe 20 seconds later, my cpu usage is at 100%... dunno if that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice