1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse scroll wheel problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by briarrabbit, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briarrabbit

briarrabbit Thread Starter

I'm hoping someone can help resolve a scrolling issue.

One of our PC's runs Vista Home and the basic corded mouse gave up the ghost last week. Right button ceased working. OK. I bought a new corded HP mouse [don't like cordless accessories], uninstalled the old mouse driver, re-booted, installed the driver software and connected mouse. Simple.

My son has been using it a few days tells me the scroll wheel won't work on Firerfox web pages nor on his favourite game, Roller Coaster Tycoon. It works fine on Chrome, IE and Word documents etc.

I googled and found scrolling problems aren't uncommon on Firefox but didn't find a solution. Today I uninstalled the mouse, re-installed and just used the default Microsoft driver - still the same. Mouse settings for buttons etc are all set at default. Also tried using the driver update function but supplied driver is current version.

I'm puzzled but there is probably an easy solution I'm unaware of.

Many thanks.

2. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

This might sound stupid but try this for troubleshooting reasons: Open Firefox to any page such as this forum. Now resize the firefox window so that part of the desktop shows. Click once on any open portion of the desktop. Nothing should happen. Now try using the wheel to scroll down the web page. Again, nothing should happen. Now try clicking on a blank area on the firefox web page. Any area without an ad or link should do. Now try scrolling down. Does it scroll? If so, theres nothing wrong with your mouse. If you still can't get the scroll wheel to work, then go to control panel. In there should be a mouse icon. Open it and tell me if there is a tab that says "wheel"

3. briarrabbit

briarrabbit Thread Starter

Makes no difference - still won't scroll.

Wheel configuration in Device Manager is set to Default.

Also as I mentioned, no problems using IE, Chrome or Word docs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice