Mouse stuck? HELP!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobbysgirlonly

i don't know if you all will be able to help on this one, but you have cured me before, so i'll give it a shot.

i have a real mess on my hands!! i'll give you some background.

my laptop has sort of become my son's toy. he is 3. he is addicted to the computer, but doesn't treat it too nicely.

it first started when it seemed some of the keys were stuck. like i would push "a" and "ad" would show up. some of the other keys were being weird and not working as well. i thought something may have been spilled on it so i removed a few keys to try and clean underneath, like a regular keyboard. well to my surprise the only thing under laptop keyboards is some sort of circuit board thing. so i figured that was a loss, so i just plugged a regular keyboard into one of the ports, problem solved. except the next day all of the keys had been removed from my son, since he seen me do it. still at least i had a keyboard that worked.

then recently the keyboard quit working. i thought he may have jumped on it or pounded on it, so i tried another keyboard and still nothing! on the second one, the lights by the caps and number lock did come on, but i get nothing! i checked the device driver thing and it said it is working properly, but nothing. any ideas on this?? but this isn't the BIG problem.

so since all he/we really do on the laptop is play games, who needs to type! and if i did have to do something small, thank god for copy and pasting!!

all of a sudden last night, it was really acting weird. when you boot up and get to the desktop the bottom most icon is sort of flashing and is highlighted. if i try to click on anything else all it opens is the bottom one that is highlighted. no matter what window i try to open or get to, the bottom most thing is highlighted and the only thing i can access.

along with this problem, when i do get to the internet it will automatically go to the bottom of the page i am viewing. i try to scroll or move to the top of the page and it goes right back to the bottom. i thought he may have damaged the mouse i have plugged in the usb port, but even when i unplug that and try to use the touch pad it does the exact same thing.

i have tried system restore which did nothing. i am at a total loss as to what to do, if anything can be done.

even after christmas and the kid made out like a bandit, he wants the computer! i keep trying to explain to him it is broke, and all he does is cry and tells me to "FIX IT", "play games! play games! play games!"

so i am a bit desperate here. ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated! i really don't have the $$ to get a new one right now, and since it is sort of a toy for a 3 year old, i don't want to get a new one for him to play with anyways.

thanks for viewing!

Hi Jennifer and welcome to TSG :)

Laptops usually have 2 or more USB ports - have you tried both?

Have you another device you can try in the USB port (Camera for instance) to ensure that the port is OK?

Do you have a PS2 socket on the laptop (small round one) that you could try a PS2 mouse in - if so do you have one or can you borrow one just to try?

If you can - do you get the same results ( curser bouncing ) ?

bobbysgirlonly

Thanks for the reply.

i will try the ps2 port for the mouse and see if it works, but it happens even if the mouse is unplugged and i am trying to just use the touch pad on the laptop.

i don't know if the ps2 port is for just keyboard or could be used for a mouse as well, i thought that port may be bad since the incident i wrote of about the keyboards not working.

i'll let you know what i find out. thanks again!

bobbysgirlonly

i tried the other mouse, and i think for sure the ps2 port is shot. the mouse didn't work at all.

bobbysgirlonly

so? anything else i can try to fix my problem? i just don't understand what would be making this happen.

Just to make sure that you have no "nasties" on your system do the following:

Go to this location for Hijack This and click on OPEN
http://thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

· Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
· It will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
· Click “Next” in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the "Select Addition Tasks" dialogue.
· Put a check by “Create a desktop icon” then click Next again.
· At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
· Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. You will be prompted to save the log.
· Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
· Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
· Post the log back in this forum

One of the log experts will take a look at your log and advise you what to do next.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online