1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse won't work in DOS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mwredt, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I'm working with an older computer running Windows 95. Am trying to install a golf game from a CD but when I restart computer in DOS mode my mouse won't work. Anyone know why? The mouse works okay in Windows. Also I have tried a PS/2 mouse and a serical mouse.

2. Wallenberg

Wallenberg

You probably need to install a mouse driver for DOS.

But a much better question is why are you trying to use DOS at all?

There is hardly any reason to use DOS anymore today - even when running W95.

Do you realize that your PC runs much much slower under DOS because it is only using 16 bits of your 32 bit machine? Also, do you realize that you can only access 1 gig of hardrives regardless of how big they are?

3. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

This is an old computer I had arouind. A friend of mine recently became disabled; cancer, operations, etc. His wife wanted something to help fill his time and saw another friend of mine playing the golf game and thought that would be good for him. The golf game is a DOS based game so this old computer with Windows 95 was just the ticket. Obviously, money is scarce what with his illness and operations.
    Now, how do I install a driver for DOS and why didn't one get installed with Windows 95 since Windows 95 still used DOS?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Assuming you were not trying to use a USB mouse, it should work.

But the game may need you to enable it in a menu somewhere, in its native form DOS does not understand a mouse, but most DOS based programs that used it provided the driver

5. Wallenberg

Wallenberg

Assuming that you can't find some s/w that came with the mouse, it would be best to do a Google search for a site that contains standard drivers. I know there are some but don't know the names offhand. They are not hard to find.

Then you can download one of those drivers. They are usually named something like "Mouse.Sys" or "Mouse.Com". Then you need to place an entry in config.sys or autoexec.bat that points to the driver.

You'll need to do some research on Google. The best section to look is the "groups" section.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Some more help:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-114

While doing this is easy for someone experienced with working in DOS and adding lines to files, it may be more than you want to try. If you know someone who can help you, it might be best to go that route.
    Some of your friends may have worked in DOS in past years- almost everyone had to before win98 came out.
    A good technician nearby? Any groups for (I hate to post it, I am 56...and it labels me, now!) Senior Citizens that aid with comuter use? It would take someone only about two minutes to do what you need.

One very simple way: Don't know if it will work for the golf game, or with your mouse, but it should for any standard PS/2 mouse, provided there are no other DOS mouse drivers loaded...

"""Enabling Mouse in DOS
    Click on Start, then Run, and in the Run box type SYSEDIT, and click on OK. Find the file AUTOEXEC.BAT.
    Add the line LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MOUSE
    Save and Exit. Shutdown and Restart the computer back into Windows, and the mouse should now work in DOS. """

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice