1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse won't work in safe mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by izzey, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. izzey

izzey Thread Starter

I am running Window ME and every time I go into safe mode, the mouse will not work and safe mode comes up with a help page on the screen and I have to use my tab button to get around on a very limited basis. Has anyone run into this before?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Is this a USB or Ps2 connection

3. izzey

izzey Thread Starter

Right now it is a wireless mouse plugged in with a ps2 adapter. If I remember correctly, I have tried it with a traditional straight ps2 mouse and had no success either.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A plain PS/2 mouse should work just fine. I'd be surprised if your wireless mouse connected through an adapter did work in Safe Mode. It needs drivers that aren't loaded in Safe Mode.

5. chazshep

chazshep

in safe mode it only loads up basic drivers so u would need to get a very plain mouse that plugs in through the mouse port. i recomend u getting a microsoft wired mouse :)

6. izzey

izzey Thread Starter

I hooked up a wired mouse and rebooted into safe mode-mouse still will not operate. The Microsoft Help & Support Screen pops up and I have to hit control alt delete then tab over to shut down to go back to normal mode. This computer has done this from the first time I upgraded from Windows 98 (if you want to call it that) to Windows ME so I could at least have a wireless router that would work my laptop. Any suggestions on the mouse?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

8. izzey

izzey Thread Starter

That seems to make sense. Where exactly in the registry would I add the text? Could you walk me through the process, as I get a little nervous when I start messing around in the registry.

Thanks

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't enter anything manually into the registry. Open Notepad, and copy and paste the text indicated in the article (the bolded text from "Windows Registry Editor" on down). Save the file, and then rename it so it has a .REG extension instead of a .TXT. Then just double-click on the file, and the entries will automatically be added.

10. izzey

izzey Thread Starter

I think I copied and saved as you said, but when I double click on the .reg file, I get the message: "The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import registry files."
    I saved it in notepad, but it also was in my documents. Would that matter? I did notice that the site where the script was mentioned that this works with all Windows 2000 and my computer is running ME.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice