1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Move alot of Data from Columns Excel 2010 - too big to transpose

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ray_grey, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ray_grey

ray_grey Thread Starter

Hi,

I was hoping somone could please help me out.

I have an excel spread sheet with a lot of data in columns which i need to convert into rows. The problem is one column contains over 10,000 rows of data... thus making it too hard to transpose manually.

I have attached a copy of the spreadsheet (condensed version) and was hoping someone had some suggestions on how i can achieve my desired outcome.

Thanks very much,

Ray

Attached Files:

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I'm sorry to say that this is pretty much impossible as far as I can tell because there simply isn't enough consistency in your layout. If all rows were there and in order it would be easy enough.
    As they aren't, one would need to inspect the titles to put them in the right place, but your titles don't always match either. For example your second "Telephone" entry is actually titled "Clinic Mobile", which the computer justly sees as very different indeed.
    I'll try to help if I can, but you'll need some point of consistency if you want computers to automate a process. If it helps, here's a copy of my spreadsheet that inspects the titles (on sheet 2). If there are only a few problematic titles it might be easier to correct them manually (or use search and replace).

Attached Files:

3. ray_grey

ray_grey Thread Starter

Hi Ent,

Thanks very much for your response.

If i were to reduce some of the categories and standardise them... would it be possible?

For example, would it make it easier if i only used the following categories -

Name: Clinic: Address: Postcode: Suburb: State: Email:

If so, i will modify the data at work tomorrow and upload it.

Thanks,

Ray.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You can have as many categories as you want, but they have to be standard. You can have telephone so long as you call it telephone right the way through. The problem arises if you call it phone in one place, telephone in another, and cell phone in a third. Computers, not speaking English, cannot tell that these are all the same thing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice