1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

move context menu items

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vookster82, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Hi, i got a little problem of a coworker trying to "rename" a newly created file...but instead she hits the "delete" button all too often:mad: . Ironicly the rename and delete menu items are right next to each other. :eek:

Please tell me that there is a easy way to "move" context menu items. I found a little progy called shellex view from nirsoft a while back that lets me easyily add or remove context menu items...but i dont let me move them:mad:

Any ideas ????

2. erick295

erick295

AFAIK you can't move them. They're part of Windows. Why doesn't she just use F2 instead?

3. vookster82

Simply put...fast moving fat fingers hopped up on caffine why listeneing to the radio. :rolleyes:
    I tried that option too, but half the time she ends up searching the computer for some random file F3, or she ends up in help F1. It's like a nightmare, every other day she's calling me up to tell me she "thinks" she may have deleted a file i just created...and thats only when she renames files. You should see what happens when she goes to move files. :eek: It's coming to a point where im going to pop off the shift and control keys..:mad:

There's gotta be a way though....maybe i can add a context menu item to go in between delete and rename. :p

Thanks for the suggestion though

4. stantley

stantley

You could try Mmm Free which will let you edit the context menu. Here's a description:

Mmm Free allows you to customize the Windows context menu. You can hide selected items, or move them to a `Rarely Used` folder entry that opens a sub-menu in your right-click menu. The program is easy to use and offers a drag and drop interface to move or hide an item. An optional Plus version with additional features is also available (for purchase).

5. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,

I suppose disabling the context menu completely and forcing the use of the top toolbar or function keys is too extreme?

6. vookster82

that mmm free app should do the trick. thanks (y)

how would one disable the context menu as a whole anyways? i think that would cause more headaches for myself thought, but good call though. :D

7. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

That utility from stantley will do it - good find!

Disabling the context menu would be in a Group Policy (if you're running XP-Pro - otherwise a Registry hack). Just for anyone's info the Group Policy is located at:
    User Configuration
    Administrative Templates
    Windows Explorer
    and in the right-hand pane:
    Remove Windows Explorer's default context menu

It also removes the same options from the File drop-down menu.

8. vookster82

nice, thanks a bunch....always something to keep in mind ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!