1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Move EIDE HD to Serial HD system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slimw, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

I have just purchased a new Dell system with a Serial HD. I have a WD EIDE HD I want to move to the new system as a data drive. I have purchased a EIDE to serial converter and serial cable.
    Does anyone have any hints as to what the jumper settings should be on the EIDE drive and does it matter which serial socket I should put it in?
    So far I am not having much luck. The system does not see the EIDE drive at all and the system hangs at the boot screen before proceeding where before it was a momentary blip.
    Can someone give me a basic on serial hard drives?

Thanks,

2. norton850

norton850

Although you can hook the IDE drive to the serial connector (with the converter) you don't have to and if there's room it can just go to one of the IDE connectors. Which Dell model do you have and how many of the serial (SATA) connectors are there?

3. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

I have a Dell 8400, and from what I can see all of the IDE connectors are taken by the 2 DVD drives and or floppy drive.

4. norton850

norton850

Your right. You have one of the newer boards that are popping up with just one IDE controller and the SATA controllers handle the rest. Some times you can set the SATA controller to handle an IDE drive without a converter. Not sure yet how yours is set up. Let me see what I can find out.

5. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.
    From what I can see there are 4 SATA connectors on the motherboard. I left the original in it's own slot, and I just randomly picked another for the second.
    I am concerned about the placement of the jumpers on the EIDE drive: Slave, master and such. I am not sure if any of that applies to SATA.

6. norton850

norton850

Still learning about the 8400 at the Dell site, but try setting your EIDE drive jumper to master.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Why don't you just buy a USB enclosure and put the IDE drive into that?

8. norton850

norton850

I don't know what's cheaper, but there's also a plug in IDE card as an option. It looks like the converter has already been purchased so I thought we could try (maybe yes maybe no) to get it to work. :)

9. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

I was trying to avoid one more AC adapter.
    The hardware I have only cost about $25, so it wouldn't kill me if I have to go with the USB external housing.

10. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

I tried the jumper as master and it didn't help. I am going to the Western Digital site to see if I can get any help on jumper settings.
    I took a quick look at the site that I got the adapter from and there was no help on set up.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Basically, all the WD site will tell you is that a WD drive on the same cable with another drive has a different jumper setting than a drive by itself.

12. norton850

norton850

Not sure if this applies to setting up the IDE drive with the SATA converter, but I believe a WD by itself gets a "single" jumper setting.

13. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

I found the WD guide for the single drive on a cable jumper. I will try that next and get back to you all. Google search returns a lot of info, but nothing helpful yet.

14. norton850

norton850

I spent some time in the Dell forum. Basically the three choices for adding the IDE drive were what we've already mentioned. The converter that you have, an addin IDE card or an external enclosure as AcaCandy mentioned. After much searching I finally found someone who had good results with the converter. There were a few however who never seemed to get it to work.

15. slimw

slimw Thread Starter

Was there any detailed instructions on settings or jumpers?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice