1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Move HD from 1 computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CFIannotti, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CFIannotti

CFIannotti Thread Starter

My (no hate) Vista computer does not respond to keyboard or mouse. As in, the number lock light on the keyboard does not illuminate when I start the computer. I am using that keyboard now, (no hate) on my XP computer .
    As a side problem, my MSI brand GT 710 graphics card might have failed.I was using the Vista computers on board chipset video to run the monitor,with no problems.
    The short version is, can I remove the HD from the Vista unit, and put it in the XP computer?I only want to transfer the special files / programs I have on it,though most are already on the XPP computer as a backup.
    Later I will see if the Vista computer is salvageable.
    I do NOT like W10.
    Both of these desktops do what I need.
    Thoughts?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can certainly install the Vista hard drive into the XP PC and copy data type files off it but programs, unless they are very simple single EXE files, have to be properly installed because they have multiple files and also entries in the registry. Also even simple programs that work in Vista may not work in XP.

Basically you will just have to try it and any programs that do transfer to XP ok will be a bonus.

3. CFIannotti

Thanks, mostly want unique image folders I have, exe's I use are on both computers as is. I am unhappy with the fact that the mouse and keyboard were not "started" but, unplugging a usb device resulted in the usual "bloop" sound for that event.
    So there is room for the HD,and power would come from a similarly coloered cable,and the data cable should already be coming from the motherboard, just not hooked into anything. I'll give it all a look.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The image folders should be available straight away after you install the vista hard drive.
    If you value the images you should back them up.

5. CFIannotti

Well
    Moved Vista HD into XP computer.Fired it up got a computer repair screen (expected)
    After an automated repair attempt, it read if I had installed something new...that could be the problem. So I disconnected the Vista HD and the XP box is obviously working.I assume I will have to have a pro access the Vista HD if possible, and recover the folders I want to SD cards or something.
    Alternate question,If the pro determines the HD is bad, would a new empty HD (I have recovery CD's) be able to be installed in the Vista case,and make that machine usable? There were several built in features I liked on the Vista program which I would like to be able to use.Thanks in advance.

6. CXensation

CXensation

Sounds like your Bios setting grabbed the wrong HD to boot from.
    Enter the bios setting (usually the DEL key on start up) and select the boot device you want to boot from.
    Then de-select other boot devices.
    Remember to save settings before exiting the Bios setup.

Your XP drive should remain untouched in your (XP) PC all the time and your Vista drive should of course be connected before you start.
    Ensure your XP drive is enabled as Master by the select header on the drive itself - and the Vista drive is selected as Slave.

CFIannotti likes this.
  7. CFIannotti

Thanks I will try that

8. CFIannotti

Update, I checked a few SD cards I had, and 90% of what I wanted was on them, so I have the cards, and copies on the XP HD.

9. CFIannotti

And after reassembling everything back into the Vista computer,
    EVERYTHING WORKS
    Must be the plugging and unplugging .

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm glad you got it all going. :)

CFIannotti likes this.
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice