Move HP Recovery Partition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xheatherlynn

I have a 640GB hard drive and want to upgrade to a 1TB hard drive. But I'd like to move or copy the HP recovery partition to the new hard drive. Is this possible?

This is how I did it successfully. All other attempts failed when using so-called hard disk cloning programs.

I did a sector-for sector copy from the source disk to the destination disk using a non-Windows program. Seems like it was the Linux DD command. This created partitions on the destination exactly the same size as the source. I then booted with the new disk and used a different Windows partitioner to increase the size of the OS partition so that it took up the remainder of the drive.

I was successful at this only once and do not guarantee your result to be successful. This is just what worked for me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online