1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Move installed programs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by skip anderse, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skip anderse

skip anderse Thread Starter

W7 Home premium.To clean up my desktop,I would like to transfer some seldom used programs to an SD card or a USB flashdrive.When using XP I would simply go to search,get all the files and move them.How can I do this on my W7 computer
    Thank You

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't move installed programs for the most part, unless they are very simple ones. Installations put files all through the system and not all are in Program Files. For some programs, most files are elsewhere. In addition, most programs will not work without the correct registry entries which are created at the time of installation. You should reinstall all programs on the new system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063798