1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

move songs from old WMP to new WMP

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by notdbritest, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notdbritest

notdbritest Thread Starter

WMP 9.0, xp home sp2, new hard drive, occasional access to old HDD (it's dying and is very erratic)

My daughter has a large number of songs saved in WMP on the old hard drive. Is there a way to transfer these songs into WMP on the new hard drive? As I am old and don't know anything:cool: , being able to save her music(?) oughta get me at least recognition that I'm not totally worthless;) .

Any help on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a whiz at this stuff, but can usually follow directions. Thanks in advance!

2. Digidave

Digidave

When you say "occasional Access to old HDD", I assume that it is internal & set to slave(2nd HDD).
    The song files aren't actually IN WMP, they would be in a folder named "My Music" or something of that nature. WMP will know where they reside & play them at your will. That is important because, what you need to do is find them on the old Harddrive & Copy them(the whole MY Music folder) to the good Harddrive. If you open WMP to play a song, it will play from the old files on the old HDD, because that is the file path that it knows. If you erase the old files, WMP will not know what to play because the old file paths are obsolete. At that point you need to import the new files(On the good HDD) into WMP to establish new file paths & WMP will play the new files off of the good HDD. I told you to Copy the files instead of Moving the files so that you can check to make certain all the files copied completely without error before getting rid of the old files. You just never know!! Can you imagine what your daughter would think of you if you screw this up!!!:eek: Just kidding!! To import them into WMP, all need to do is just open your WMP & "Drag & Drop" the new "My Music" folder into it. If you need any further assisstance, just give a holler.:)

3. notdbritest

notdbritest Thread Starter

Yep, internal (sorta--the cover's off and it's just hanging there), set to slave.

THanks for the help. It appears to have worked just fine. All 2134 songs. Some of it was even good stuff.

I have a couple of quick question though--when I pulled up a couple of the selectins to play them, it said that I was playing them on a new computer, did I want a new license? What's up with that? I said yes, and it said I had a new license for that song, and it played just fine, then. It also said I might want to backup and manage my licenses. Again, what the heck is that about? If someone can enlighten me on this, I would aprreciate it.

The second question is more of a hardware issue, and maybe should be posted there, but I thought I'd throw it out here while we were at it:D . Is it possible that the motherboard is going bad :mad: and that is what is causing the erratic access to the HDDs? The more I mess with this thing (trying to learn) the more it does 'odd' things. This morning it didn't recognize the new hard drive. I brought it back up, and it recognized the hard drive, but not one of the CD drives. The third time, everything came up just fine. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!