Solved Move TOC in word 2013

americamba

I use word 2013. would like to have the table of contents at the end of a book. Can I move it there? thanks

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First of all, that would no longer be a table of contents.

The "Index" goes to the end of a document.

americamba

First of all, that would no longer be a table of contents.

The "Index" goes to the end of a document.
Hi David, I know I am always in good hands with you. Thank you for your response but I don't understand your response. An index displays alphabetically the page on which different (sometimes the same in different places) are located. It is called "index" in word. The table of contents in my case only gives the page for entries that are "chapters". The TOC is also created in Word. My problem is that someone created it at the beginning of the document. I want it to be at the end. Can that be done? If not, how would I get what I have to the end, whatever it is called? I don't want to create it all ovr again.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The TOC is always at the beginning of a document and this is how MS Word is designed to do.
I have never seen any book with the TOC at the back, and I have seen many books in my 75 years.

I do not think that it can be done.

Why do you not want to follow the publishing standards by doing this?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes you can. Just create a couple of lines then create the table of contents. Then go back to the first line and start typing. Make sure you use the correct Styles for the TOC to recognise

1600274923785.png

americamba

The TOC is always at the beginning of a document and this is how MS Word is designed to do.
I have never seen any book with the TOC at the back, and I have seen many books in my 75 years.

I do not think that it can be done.

Why do you not want to follow the publishing standards by doing this?
Because the author of the book was in France insisted. I told him what you just told me that in the English-speaking publishing world it is done that way I mean in front. Finally, I figured it out myself and something new even for your 75 years which by the way I beat you with. I just cut the TOC and pasted it where it would make him happy. What do you know? Thanks, after all your help I hope this was helpful to you.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Because the author of the book was in France insisted. I told him what you just told me that in the English-speaking publishing world it is done that way I mean in front. Finally, I figured it out myself and something new even for your 75 years which by the way I beat you with. I just cut the TOC and pasted it where it would make him happy. What do you know? Thanks, after all your help I hope this was helpful to you.
Copy and paste works just as well as my way ... :whistle:;):D

Glad you were able to find a way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online