Move Website from SiteGround to Local Rasperry Pi Server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zmox

Hi
I have a small website that I would like moved to my Rasperry pi because I want it online permanently but don't think it is necessary to pay for hosting. I only get about 15 visits a month. The site doesn't change much. I also have 4 other urls that are hosted as subdomains that point to a static construction page. Some email goes through the site.
Can anyone suggest anyone who could do this for me. I have already set up the Pi with all the software. I am not too computer literate and I have no idea about web development. What would such a project cost and who can I approach to do it that's trustworthy.? Thank you.

colinsp

Colin
I have no recommendations as to someone to do this for you. I do have a couple of comments though it will not be as easy as you think. You will probably be in breach of your ISP's T's&C's. It is unlikely that you have a static IP address and so you will need an extra service to do the dynamic IP address resolution. A better solution, imho, would to move to a cheaper host there are several that cost around $1 a month and these would be suitable for a low visit site like yours. One such host is https://www.hostfast.com/3ix/

zmox

Thank you. I do have a static IP address and I would like to try it for fun as well.

Hi zmox.
The good news it's simple to host your own site and not pay for it.
The first must you've already mentioned is a static IP.
I've hosted my own site for many years now. At pressent I host 2, but you can have as many as you want.

I'll list what you'll need to get started, then I'll talk you through it step by step.

Static IP. (Done)
Access to your web host's control panel.
Download and install WAMP.
Access to your anti virus program and allow port access on ports 80 (and 443 if using HTTPS).
Access to your router to setup forwarding.
Download and install Filezilla 'client' only, (not host).
Your host's FTP IP address for your site. They will give you that if you don't have it.
Depending on your internet speed and the size of your files, you may have to ask your ISP to increase you upload speed and sacrifice some download. (You can decide later)
Lastly (I think) is a PC that will be on 24/7. WAMP only works with a Windows based OS. (Not 100% sure tho)

Let me know when all's done then we can procced.

Jon

zmox A moderator let me know about Rasberry Pi using Windows.
This download OS should work for your needs on your board.
Windows lite

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online