1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Move XP to another system; go back to 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SuitcaseMurf, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitcaseMurf

SuitcaseMurf Thread Starter

I am building a new computer and do not wish to purchase XP Pro again. I want to remove XP from current system and move it to the new one, and revert back to Win 98 for the current system. As I understand it, Microsoft keeps track of my components as registered and will not allow me to use XP on two computers unless I purchase a 2nd copy. Would it make more sense to purchase an OEM version of XP? In any case, my Pro version needs to be on the new system, so is there a procedure to move XP over to new hardware? Thank you.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If its a full retail version of XP Pro (and not pre-installed or OEM) you can do what you want, provided you fully remove it from the other system.

If its not been activated or re-activated in the last 3 months or so, it should activate OK on the new PC. If not, a phone call to MS should fix it.

3. SuitcaseMurf

SuitcaseMurf Thread Starter

Thanks, kiwi. Is there something about file formats used by XP that would cause a problem if I remove XP and install Win98 on the old system? I don't want to lose my data files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!