1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Moved from Tips/Tricks} How do i install a secondary harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kenyad, Jun 16, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kenyad

Kenyad Thread Starter

Ok right now im running windows 98, i took thinking i could use an old harddrive from her computer, its 826 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, write precomp 0, and is 420 megabytes, i just need to store things basically, i know exdactly how to plug it in and everything so i isntalled it and it froze up my starting screen for a couple sexs i tried to set different options by hitting F1 but still couldnt figure out what to do, Also this harddrive was running windows 3.1 on her computer, will it work? if so how? if not should i just trash it?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    This is a Tips and Tricks forum. I'm moving your post to the Hardware Forum

3. tward

tward

If you only want to use it as extra storage and not save any of the data on it, Make sure it is jumpered correctly (ie master on secondary or slave on primary), autodetect it in BIOS setup and then fdisk it and reformat it. It may be conflicting because it has a partition set as active and only the C drive can have an active partition.

This site starting over should help. Just be sure you don't fdisk and format the wrong drive. This is not a difficult process, but if you are not comfortable or sure of what you are doing, the potential for screwing up your PC is pretty good.

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

Some older hard drives will not work on the same IDE channel as new ones. So, if you are jumpering this drive as slave, and your current one as master, it may not work.

Try setting it to stand alone and conncecting it to the secondary channel instead.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech

6/6 added pay for home page site - nothing to install!
    5/20 new, unlimited, pay to surf site added
    5/21 added interactive story site - it's fun!
    http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice