moved laserjet printer-now prints garbage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bryanla

hp laserjet printer was moved from one location to another and now only prints garbage. This printer is hooked up via a parallel port and is attached to an as/400 system. We are trying to print info from as/400.

What model Laserjet?
What type of system was it hooked to before?
How was it hooked up, parallel or network?
What driver are you using on the AS/400?
What does the garbage look like? Post the 1st couple lines so we can see it.
Have you checked the owner's manual?
Was the previous system setup using a PS driver? If so, and the driver on the AS/400 doesn't support PS, only PCL, you'll have to change it to PCL on the printer.

bryanla

HP LASERJET II P
HOOKED TO THE SAME AS/400 SYSTEM IT HAD BEEN ATTACHED TO.
ONLY MOVED ACROSS THE ROOM FROM WHERE IT HAD BEEN.
SAME COMPUTER, SAME PRINTER, SAME PARALLEL PORT, ETC.

IT PRINTS "ems diososab;itfrheH n hifbexpir ahca a&1 tear id tdicagthe.+026" etc.

Read every manual we have. Tried Hewlett Packard website.

any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is maybe the cable. If that's changed, try another one. The routing (laying it on power supplies, over monitors, etc) and length (more than 25 feet) can have ill effects as well.

Tried using a different cable, that didn't seem to help. It will print a test page for the printer fine, but it will not print from any Windows applications as well as the AS/400. I thought that there might be something wrong with the set up of the font on the printer, but can't seem to find how to change it. At one point we got it to print out on the AS/400, but it would only print out landscape. Now, it is just all garbage as Bryanla stated above.

We have another printer in the office that will we can print off from the AS/400, but it prints out landscape also. I am not sure how to change it. It is a LaserJet 5P.

Thanks for the suggestions Jeckler.

Well, another suggestion I have is that when the printer was disconnected and moved, it reset back to factory defaults. It almost looks like it sending the data in PCL format, but the printer is set to recognize Postscript. It doesn't understand the other language. Have you been able to check what language is setup on the printer?
How about reinstalling the printer driver on the AS/400?

I sent the printer in to have it looked at and it worked fine for them, but when I got it back it was doing the same thing as before. I called back to tell them and all they had done was print out a test page from the printer and assumed it was working. It was suggested that I just get a new printer. This model is 8 years old and will cost more to repair than to replace, if I keep it. Have a feeling that the formatter has gone bad, labor plus the part is going to be expensive.

Thanks though, we appreciate your help.

Try this. Uninstall the printer and when asked if you want to delete all associated files click yes. Then reboot and reinstall from scratch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online