1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

moved the modem to another cable jack and got no connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nicolenicole, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nicolenicole

nicolenicole Thread Starter

Hello, I need your help.

I moved the cable modem to another outlet in another room today and i got no internet connection. What i was trying to do it was to move the modem and router to the middle of the house for my wireless laptops to get better speed.

do i have to call the internet cable company to activate the other jack or is there something I can do myself.

Thx a lot,
    Nicole

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the jack needs to be alive and that depends how the house/apt was wired.

check it with a tv 1st.

3. nicolenicole

nicolenicole Thread Starter

Thx a lot for the quick reply.

Problem is i don't have a small tv that i can hook it up to that jack to test. any other thing i can do? how can that jack be not alive? There is a box in my master bedroom closet, which has so many wires in it, i remember when the tech guy came to install the high speed internet, he went there and did something. Is there soemthing I can do to make that jack alive? Thx

Nicole

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Cable modems are very sensitive to the wiring and the splitters, you'll probably have to consider at a minimum replacing the splitters that feed that jack, and more likely running a wire direct from the service entrance off the incoming 2:1 splitter.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

"... he went there and did something."

He should have connected the cable to your original modem location as close to the ideal (JohnWill's post) as possible. If the cables are labeled you should now connect the cable for your new modem location to where the other one was connected in the closet. If they are not labeled, try to borrow a small TV or check at Radio Shack or somewhere to see if there are any inexpensive coax continuity testers.

This, of course, is assuming that you can't do it right, as John posted.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/570892