Movement problems in BF2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jubalint

When I move my unit/guy/soldier character (what would be the right word for that btw? Avatar?) in BF2 after I release the movement key my character will continue moving for a few seconds. Same goes for all key commands and when I click with the mouse (though mouse look works fine, no prob). Sometimes when I click to fire it won't shoot or it iwil take awhile, or if it does fire it'll keep shooting for a bit after i let go. Basically makes me look like my characters a schizofrenic. As you can imagine, this is a real pain (try driving a vehicle :().

I also had this problem with Vampire Bloodlines, but not with any other game that I know of. I booted up fear and HL2 just to make sure it wasn't my keyboards fault (it's wireless, have had trouble with batteries dieing and such), they worked like a charm. Even set the settings in BF2 to minimum to see if that would help. Fraps was measuring about 100 fps's on that setting, so it definatly isn't a question of computer power. Anyway, that's about it, thanks for your help :).

Comp Stats:
windows xp pro
AMD 64 3700+ socket 754
ATI x850 XT plat. edition
gig of ram
420 GB hard drives

Does this occur only in the game ?
Perhaps you need to install proper keyboard drivers. Friend of mine had similar type issue with logitech keyboard.
using microsoft default drivers just didn't cut it.
need to get actual logitech drivers

Jubalint

Nope, this is in single player as well as multiplayer. I wouldn't be asking the question if it was something as simple as that :D. Also I have logitech drivers installed so I can use hotkey's. Doesn't help :\. Other games work, and like I said I know it's not lag or a slow computer, maxing out at 100fps's in BF2 is a pretty good sigh that computer power isn't my problem. Then agian, it's driving me nuts why my movement seems all laggy?

it could be your keyboard.. test it by opening notepad and hold your Forward key.. after a few seconds, let it go and see if it keeps typing. If it does, then the spring (or the rubber piece) is probably messed up. Do you ever find yourself pressing down on the keys like your life depended on it? :)

Jubalint

It's not my keyboard, I have no problem typing this :). Also like I said, it works perfect in any other game besides BF2 or Bloodlines.

IF it was the spring on that particular key, the problem wouldn't show up if you're just typing regularly. I was thinking that it could be due to you keeping the key in question held down for long periods of time and the spring wearing out. That's why I said test it in Notepad and keep it held down for a while before letting go. Do you hold the forward key down for long periods in the other games?

If it's not the keyboard, and it works fine in other games (with it held down), then it's not the drivers either. There's probably some buffering going on that's holding your repeating key press (that's what happens when you hold it down) in buffer even after you let go.

Jubalint

Hmmm sorry, guess I wasn't specific enough :/. It happens to ALL keys. Like movement keys it either won't move or will overmove. Or like for other commands like crouch or view map I'll have to tap the button a couple times or when I fire with a mouse click it won't fire without a ffew clicks and it'll keep firing.

From all accounts I would think it was a problem with the computer recieving information badly, but I haven't had any problems with anything else so I don't really understand how this could happen. I'm thinking it's probably a pretty computer specific problem, I haven't found anyone else who has it. I've been thinking about doing a reformat anyway for sometime, so maybe a clean start will make it work.

Thanks for the clarification.
What's the model of the keyboard and mouse?
You said it's wireless.. is the mouse also wireless?
BF2 is pretty resource intensive.. I wonder if it's causing your pc components to draw too much power that your wireless receiver isn't receiving enough power through the USB. It's a wild guess. :)

8dalejr.fan here (First Sergeant)... :cool:

I've heard that it is possible for the key bindings to get messed up. Since this is only happening in BF2, you could try deleting and resetting all your key bindings. I don't think a reformat would help right now- too drastic.

Do the following at your own risk.

Navigate to C:\Documents an Settings\Name Here\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles and back up the stuff under Profiles to another folder. Then delete the stuff from Profiles. Don't worry- EA stores the accounts on their end.

Open BF2, and recover your account using your email, username, and password. Make sure you know those things before trying my solution.

You'll have to reset all your settings now.

No guarantees this will help. Just a wild suggestion. :cool:

i had the same problem. i traced the problem to my graphics card though. because, its only happened to me once and after making some changes it doesn't happen. unfortunetly i've forgotten exactly what i did but i know it had something to do with the graphics card. also, it may have been caused by extra running processes but i'm not sure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online