1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Movie Maker 2 crashes ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by seashell, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seashell

seashell Thread Starter

Uhm i dont really know if that is the right forum to ask this, but none of the others seems fit.

a few days ago i upgraded from Movie maker to Movie Maker 2 (included in winXP).

Now whenever i try to use any of the transitions or other video effects, no matter what - it crashes, MovieMaker closes and everything is lost. The rest of the system works stable and fine, only the program is closed ...

ive checked but there is no update or something on microsoft sites.

2. Ash_11

Ash_11

I had this exact problem. After hours of troubleshooting the only option to get it working was to format and re-install XP. There is either a conflict between other video software or codecs installed on the computer and the new Movie maker 2. If you decide to go down this root, install movie maker 2 after all your drivers and windows updates are installed. Do not install any other software. Then create a windows restore point, make sure movie maker works correctly. After your sure it works, then start installing the other software you have, and test movie maker after each install. If it crashes after you install a software, then use your restore point to go back. It's a pain in the but, but I couldn't find any help anywhere.

3. seashell

seashell Thread Starter

uh that hurts, i dont think im gonna reinstall the whole system ..
    i think ill gonna report this to microsoft, maybe they can offer some help or something. Is there any other Movie-maker around that is free and handy?

anyway thanks for your hint.

did you manage to find out what software caused the trouble? maybe it helps to just uninstall that single one.. is it a divx codec or something? i have no other movie software installed..

4. Ash_11

Ash_11

The only thing I can think of is one of those programs that install all the codecs for you. I was into downloading movies and such, and got tired of having to download and search for certain codecs. There was a program that install a whole wack for you (forgot what it was called). This was the only program I did not re-install after my format, and movie maker worked ever since.

5. seashell

seashell Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice