1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Movie Maker 2011/2012 - Installs on One Computer, But Not (An Identical) Other

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by CDobyns, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

I've got an HP Probook 6450b, running Windows 7 Professional. The laptop was purchased used, and runs the 64-bit version of Windows 7, on the Intel Core i5 CPU, at 2.4Ghz, and with 3.8MB RAM, and the Intel HD Graphics card. The laptop has run without any problems in the roughly six months I've owned it.

Recently, I realized that I needed the Microsoft Movie Maker, of which I had an earlier version, as part of an older Microsoft Office suite of applications. The Movie Maker 2011/2012 is available for free for Windows 7 users, under the Microsoft Live Essentials download - which includes the Microsoft Picture Album, Outlook, and a couple of other applications - in addition to Movie Maker. I successfully located the official download locations for both Movie Maker 2012 and even Movie Maker 2011.

After numerous installations (of both MM2012 and MM2011), when invoking the Movie Maker application - I get the same error dialog box, that in essence says that Movie Maker cannot start on my computer, because it lacks the required resources (or words to that effect . . .).

So, I have researched nearly every relevant online reference/solution citation imaginable, to include Microsoft, HP (laptop and graphics card). I've checked the various configurations, including the memory, graphics card, DirectX support, and almost anything else you can think of, but without any luck (although the Windows Live Photo Gallery does install successfully). In frustration, I admitted defeat and defaulted to installing the older 2.6 version of Movie Maker.

In a final chapter of drama (or supreme irony), I was using my wife's identically configured Probook 6450b, and got the "inkling" to try installing Windows Live Essentials, and the Movie Maker application. To my amazement (and not a small amount of consternation), the Movie Maker installed successfully and the application launched successfully. So, these two laptops are practically (and intentionally) essentially the same laptop. There may be some small configuration variations and some other applications installed variations - but in terms of hardware, they are identical - and yet, Movie Maker will (or won't) install on one of them. Any good ideas on how to deconstruct the actual difference which is creating the barrier to the successful installation of Movie Make on one of the laptops.

I almost wish there was way to "transfer" the application and registry settings from the successful laptop, to the problem laptop - although while I'm willing (and capable) of working on the registry, it seems overly ambitious. Other ideas?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    I have no trouble installing 2012 in several Computers, but getting it to work is a different story.
    The internet is full of similar horror stories about WMM.
    I always had to backup to 2011, and it's still crippled ... (I'm messing with AVCHD and hours of render times (n))
    You cannot make a DVD in W8 or W10 (the DVD maker has been removed) ... And after 3 years, it's obvious that M$ has no intentions of fixing or updating WMM.
    I figure it's time to read between the lines ... And move on
    I've given up and installed Adobe Premiere Elements 13 .... I've got some learning to do ... But So Far, it looks like I've made a good decision
    Screwed.gif

3. Mr Davo

Mr Davo

It is likely that the issue lies with your Registry settings, or with an underlying software package which WMM relies upon to operate (such as the .NET framework). My suggestion is as follows -

1). Set a Restore Point
    2). Uninstall all traces of WMM
    3). (Manually) delete WMM related installation folders (assuming that they are not removed as part of the standard uninstall process through Control Panel)
    4). Install CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download)
    5). Run CCleaner
    6). Clean your Registry
    7). Reboot your laptop
    8). Run Ccleaner again
    9). Clean your Registry again
    10). Delete temp files (Start > Search Box > %Temp%)
    11). Reboot your laptop
    12). Check Windows Update for any / all updates (and install)
    13). Reboot (probably required as part of Step 12)
    14). Set another Restore Point (call it 'Clean ready to reinstall WMM' or similar)
    15). Reinstall your preferred version of WMM

Good luck...this whole process will take you over an hour, so make sure that your not in a rush!

4. valis

valis Moderator

@CDobyns; please do not do as Mr. Davo suggested; registry cleaners are NOT recommended here, as they will frequently do more harm than good. Cleaning temp files is fine, please do not attempt to clean the registry with ANY automated cleaners.

thanks,

v

5. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the cautionary note on the registry cleaners. So, maybe I've just been the "luckiest duck", or perhaps just [the next] "sitting duck", but I've been using CCleaner successfully for probably more than five years - with never a problem yet.

And for Mr. Davo, based on the above you can probably anticipate what I'm going to say next. So, yes - I've literally run through exactly (yes, exactly) the sequence of de-install, and restarts that you describe in your guidance. The only "skipped" part was probably Step 8, since as you (already) know, after CCleaner runs the de-install routine (and I selected the deep, deep removal option . . .), there is no longer a program application remaining, to run the CCleaner against a second time. I did get the Temp files step though. So, I've got through this sequence twice (yes, before you suggested it . . . but you get "snaps" for thinking/suggesting it).

Short story, after doing all that (twice), it was the same outcome/result - Movie Maker will not install.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice