1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

movie player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Rat_Attack, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rat_Attack

Rat_Attack Thread Starter

Hi I downloaded a movie the other day and I cant see or hear it with my movie player.
    I have: the player version 0.6.4
    windows media player version 7.01.00.3005
    and whatever morpheus uses as player
    The extension on the movie is: DivX CAM.avi
    Help please....

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Have you checked to see if you can see & hear other movies? It may be just a bad file.

Savvy :)

3. Rat_Attack

Hi..yes i can see and hear all the other files except this one..but last time this happened I had to download a new movie viewer, its just that i dont want to have to download the 256mb again on a 56k modem...is there a movie player that will play all file extensions and such? Or is there some way i can check the file and see if it is damaged or corrupt?

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

What ext is it?

5. Rat_Attack

extension is AVI
    so I thought that my windows media player would work

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

7. dopefish

dopefish

have u downloaded the divx codec???????

you cand get it from www.divx.com

or else its possible that its an unfinished avi file in which case you could use "the playa" the video player that comes with the divx codec.

:)

8. kitmac

kitmac

Hi,

Definitely sounds like you need to install the divx codec. Make sure you install both the DivX3 Alpha and the DivX4.02 because 4 will play files that were encoded using 3 but not the other way around.

ALL divx files are given the AVI extention because it's the only way to get WMP or any other mediaplayer which uses the WMP core code (nearly all of them) to recognise them as a valid file type.

Also, as far as I know, there is simply no way to play an incomplete divx file (believe me, I've tried). So try installing the codec first, if that doesn't work, try downloading the file again.

And if you're downloading the file from some kind of file-sharing programme, make sure you're downloading something that looks like a complete version of the file - in the search results don't download a file that is suspiciously smaller than the norm.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
    Kit

9. Ratfood

Ratfood

rat attack, whatever you do do not set divx 4 to play back all your divx movies (It will ask you during installation). Divx 4 is very buggy and while works ok on decoding movies encoded in divx 4, it sucks on anything else.

It appears that you dont have the correct codec for that movie, get one here.

If it turns out that the file is incomplete then use this to stip it and rebuild it, then you can watch it fine. It lets you watch incomplete divx files.

10. Rat_Attack

Well i tried everything suggested but no luck..cant see or hear anything..so in the bin with that movie

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice