1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Movine folders in Windows 7 partitions.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ingeborgdot, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

What seems to be the best way to move folders in Windows 7? There seems to be several different ways. I have several hdd with several partitions. Thanks.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You move folders in Windows 7 the same way you move folders in every other operating system: you cut and paste them.

However, I suspect you've left out a lot of important details about the situation such as which folders you want to move. You can't move program folders. You'd have to reinstall the application to a different location.

If you want to move other system folders such as Documents, Music, Pictures, that's a different situation. I'd recommend taking advantage of the Libraries feature to just add the new partitions / drives to the various folders.

3. ingeborgdot

Yeah, like usual I did. I create partitions and then like to keep My documents on partition D, My pictures on E, My Music on next hdd partition F, My videos on other hdd partition G. I also like to put my programs on another hdd and separate partition.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You are just making things difficult for yourself. Partitions are not a substitute for folders.

If one becomes too full, you would need to readjust the space allocation, possibly leading to data loss.

If you move files, it takes considerably longer since they are actually physically moved between partitions instead of their addresses simply being changed when moved inside a partition.

Download will take more time, as well as some installations, because files will need to be moved between partitions to and from the temp folder on the system drive.

If something goes wrong, the complexity of the system makes it more difficult to recover.

If you need to reinstall Windows, the registry changes needed to move all these folders will need to be done all over again.

Each partition will need to be backed up. If you do periodic file backups, that means a schedule for each one.

I could go on, but I just think that so many partitions is a wrong turn. That is not what they are for.

5. ingeborgdot

What are partitions for? If one becomes too full, you buy another hdd. No matter what it has to go somewhere?

6. ingeborgdot

But I am taking your advice and only having 2 partitions. One for my OS and it will be 400GB so it should not fill up because everything else will be on the next partition in a 2TB hdd and the video files will all go in another hdd of 2TB.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is some debate about multiple partitions. Some say it makes sense to have most data on another so that there is less fragmentation, or so that the OS can be backed up separately and makes a smaller backup.

There are sensible, if debatable, reasons for having partitions. But too many doesn't really make life simpler or the system better in any way.

One reason for a partition that is sensible is that if you have only a certain amount of space for a backup, then the partition should be small enough to fit the backup medium. But that is solved by just having large enough drives.

I think what you have done makes more sense.

Use a good backup program to make copies of the whole partitions from time to time.

Free system imaging/backup software:

Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Comodo Time Machine
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Paragon Backup & Recovery
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

Or, just to back up files and folders:

Free backup applications:

FreeFileSync (Free, open-source folder comparison and synchronization utility)
    GoodSync
    Karen's Replicator
    Cobian backup
    SyncBack
    DeltaCopy (Works like Vista's file transfer and only copies changed bytes so whole file not copied.)
    Allway Sync
    VersionBackup
    JaBack
    WinBackup

8. ingeborgdot

Of these backups which one seems to be the best? I have no problem paying for some if needed. I do have acronis true image home. Is there anything that is the overall winner. I use a 10 TB NAS for my main server as backup and for central location of stuff.

I do have a question though. On my Synology 1010+ what would work best? Is there one that would sync things between computers?

Let me explain what is going on. I use several computers laptop, desktop etc. I have excel documents on my desktop and have saved it onto my NAS but when I go into my laptop to add something it may not get back into my desktop so the same excel file won't be updated. Does this make sense? What can I do to make this work right?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The free ones are excellent. But Acronis ought to be all you need. It can both back up partitions and files/folders.

For synchronization, I am using GoodSync right now, and so far, so good. Of the programs listed, JaBack probably has the most features, but most backup programs can also keep files synched.

10. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Perhaps my current setup could be of interest
    W7 is on C

I keep the bulk of my media on D...pictures music etc {all programs are on C though}
    I created a Folder on D...{just call it "myfiles" if you like
    Then I made sub folders in the "myfiles folder"...picture music video etc.

Here is what makes it sweet...the library feature......I added the pictures folder on D to my picture library.
    Same with music etc.........Now If i click pictures I have both the C pictures and D pictures showing without having to open folders.
    But
    I can go to user name then pictures just to view C pictures.

I also created a shortcut in the left pane of explorer to D myfiles.

I save my pictures in C...then every few days move them to D..same with music etc...this way I only have to deal with recent files if needed....this prevent explorer from having to open thousands of thumbnails if I want to get to a recent file than I placed on C

I created a system image of C...now when I do a recovery..I am only recovering C..this has all my programs etc on it...but no pics etc..this keeps the image small My bulk of files are over on D.
    I am ready to roll in several minutes.....the image is small so there is less chance of a failure.

I would also like to point out I also copy and paste the D files to an external every few days...This is also where I store my image of C

So .........I have my media on my main drive and back it up every few days to an external via copy and paste...and also have an image of C on the external....in the event my main drive quit...I can get a new drive and use my image....if for some reason the image became corrupt I still have my media files
    If the external quit..I still have my media on D ...as well as my current install

C and D are on main..then I use an external
    My external has an install of vista on it...as it use to be my main drive...but i swapped out the drives as I wanted to use the WD in the laptop itself.

So if my main drive went out tonight I can...pull the drive from the laptop...take the drive from the external case and put it in the laptop and be in business in a few minutes

11. ingeborgdot

Is acronis better?

I have never used a sync program before. How does it work?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice