1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving a large block of OE 6 emails to a different folder.. How To?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Rob1960, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

I use OE 6 on an XP Pro platform, and I need to move a large block of business emails from one OE folder to another. There are roughly 8,000 emails in this folder, and I need to move half to a new folder so they will compact properly.

Is there a FAST WAY to "Select" or highlight 4,000 out of 8,000 emails? It would take hours to hold down the Ctrl key and individually click all 4,000. Using Edit>Select All will not accomplish what I need. In a regular Windows folder, one can hold the Ctrl key and drag the cursor beside a long list of files to select them. Is there any way to do something similar inside an OE folder? Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Select the first one ...
    scroll down to the last one you want to select ...
    and do a shift + select ...
    this should select all between the first click and the last shift+click

4. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

This works perfectly. Thank you very much.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Do you know that you can also drag this selection to a Folder outside of OE to make a backup copy for storing elsewhere ??

6. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

There is one OE Folder that still will not compact, and my question is why? When the comp process is nearly finished it gives the error "This folder is currently in use by OE or by another application." There are 4670 emails in this folder and all the other folders are similar size. All the others have now compacted because I divided each year's emails into two files. A year is about 10,000 messages. Your previous information was extremely helpful. I have 12 years of business emails and it is a good filing system for my needs. I will back these up to a CD and put it in my safe deposit box. Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/789254