Moving a single .dbx file back to Outlook Express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AK57

I’m running Outlook Express 6 (with only one identity) on XP. A few months ago I deleted a 30MB folder of e-mails called “Work” but saved it (Work.dbx) on a thumb drive. Now I want to restore it and am having trouble. First, I just copied it back to the directory where all my message files are stored: OE ignored it. Second, I renamed Folders.dbx so that OE would create a new Folders file: OE created a new “Work” folder, which was empty. Then, following the advice of a couple of help forums, I created a dummy “Work” folder, moved a message into it, then renamed it. This didn’t work either.

Next I tried OE’s import command, the idea being to import Work.dbx from a newly created “Messages” folder on my desktop, where I had copied it. No matter how I did this, all I got was a “No messages can be found in this folder…” error message. Finally, I copied Folders.dbx into the same Messages folder along with Work.dbx. This time I was allowed to continue with the import -- but only from the OE folders currently listed on OE, which of course does not include the folder I *want* to import!

I have no reason to believe the folder is corrupt; I just can’t figure out the procedure for importing or transferring it back with the others so I can open the messages it contains. Can anyone help?

AK57

Thanks for the suggestion. I may pay for a program if there's no other option, but I wanted to explore other possibilities first.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
It's free!!!

Click on DBXtract and download. The program doesn't require any installation. Simply run it and extract your .DBX file.

AK57

Phantom010 - Thanks for that tip. Have you used this program? I downloaded and ran it. It appeared to be extracting properly, but when it was done I was unable to find the results. Also -- and this may be related -- it wasn't obvious to me which of the options at the top to select before running it. ("Restore" isn't checked by default, for example.)

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
At the bottom of the window, you need to enter a Path for the Output.

Do not check Recover Mode.

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
If you want to check the original on your thumb drive, use MailView Download Here. It can open and display the contents of DBX files, even on other drives.
If it reads OK, you might have the copy you're trying to get into OE marked Read Only (which often happens when transferring files from flash drives).

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
If you want to check the original on your thumb drive, use MailView Download Here. It can open and display the contents of DBX files, even on other drives.
If it reads OK, you might have the copy you're trying to get into OE marked Read Only (which often happens when transferring files from flash drives).
I just knew you'd be here soon! I wonder why... :confused: :D

You never did like my DBXtract... :D

AK57

You got my hopes up. Could it be something as simple as "read only" status? But when I right-clicked on the file and chose Properties, the read-only box wasn't checked.

I tried the MiTeC MailViewer program, and it couldn't find messages in the file. Does that mean it's corrupted?

As for DBXtract: I did enter a path for output, but then couldn't find any output file(s) when it was done with its process.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Maybe there isn't anything to extract? Or, the file is to corrupted to do anything?

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
You got my hopes up. Could it be something as simple as "read only" status? But when I right-clicked on the file and chose Properties, the read-only box wasn't checked.

I tried the MiTeC MailViewer program, and it couldn't find messages in the file. Does that mean it's corrupted?
Assuming you browsed to the thumb drive and opened the original Work.dbx you saved, then it's not looking good.
Try opening a dbx in the message store that you know has messages and is displaying properly in OE just to be sure it's working right.
Are you also trying DBXtract on the original file?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online