1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

moving a UPS during a power outage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steveb1492, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steveb1492

steveb1492 Thread Starter

It should be possible to move a UPS during a power outage shouldn't it? I'm just wondering if i could have it plugged into my comp and then move it to the cable modem/voip adapter after the power goes out (after shutting down the comp of course). That shouldnt be a problem should it?

2. squidboy

squidboy

Ummmm. Once the power goes out, moving your UPS doesn't help you a lot. Technically, yes you can move it but what are you going to do with ~5 mins of power for your cable modem?

Or is that not your real question?

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    are you trying to do the following when the power goes out?

1) Power down the computer and unplug if from the UPS.

2) Unplug the UPS and move it to where the cable modem and voip adapter are located

3) Plug the cable modem and voip adapter into the UPS.

Then I do not see any reason why there should be any problem powering the cable modem and voip adapter from the UPS.

You may have a problem with getting the cable modem to run a high speed connection if the power outage is for more than just a few houses in your area. Do you know for sure that your cable company has backup power for all the broadband hardware in their central office and any powered distribution points?

Edit: That scenario is one of the reasons I still have a corded phone on a POTS line. I know I can get a dialtone and make an emergency call during a long term power outage. The phone company central office has back up batteries and generators.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    A decent sized UPS for a desktop computer set up that is fully charged should be able to run JUST a cable modem and VoIP adapter for a lot more than 5 minutes. Without looking up the specs for every known piece of hardware, I would guess that the cable modem and VoIP adapter combined would not use more than about 25 watts of power. That would be less than 1/10 the power consumption of a typical desktop computer and LCD monitor.

As I said before, the bigger concern would be if the cable company had large UPS's on all their hardware.

5. squidboy

squidboy

Unless Steveb is capable of mentally receiving voip traffic (which I will want to know about!), the phone he is using will need some watts as well.

Certainly, he can accomplish what he is asking. I just feel there's a better solution to his question, as you pointed out with the pots suggestion.

But if there's further need to discuss precise power consumption we can take it to PM's.

For now, I'd just like to hear what his actual dilemma is, if that's acceptable to all parties involved. ;)

6. steveb1492

Yeah, all my VOIP traffic goes straight into my brain via a USB WIFI adapter (I had a usb port surgically hardwired into my brain - thought it would be helpful:D - i'm just worried about BSOD's - might be kinda hard to reboot:( )

Anyway....
    There shouldn't be any other power requirements for the phones (except wireless) other than that provided by the modem/voip combo thingy (TimeWarner). I did all the wiring myself (using the preinstalled CAT5), so i know there's no other power source besides the cable modem/voip adapter (and thankfully, everything works:D - especially with my substandard wiring job - running network and phone over the same cables).

The POTS line probably would work, but then i'd have to pay more (cell phone should work anyway - it'll hold a charge for weeks if its off . . .and I can always run to the neighbors' if the house is burning down).

I've never had a power outage of over 5 mins in the 3 years i've lived here, so there isn't exactly a huge threat of the power going out for a massively long time (in my opinion at least).

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you are only concerned about power outages of under a half hour then a typical UPS for a desktop PC should be good enough. You might want to consider getting a dedicated UPS just for the modem and VoIP adapter.

I bet that the back up batteries in your local cell towers won't last anywhere near that long. :eek:

8. steveb1492

I think I'm just gonna get a usb sattelite dish so that I can use my brain to make outgonig calls - much easier don't you think:D ?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I have my VoIP adapter connected to one of the UPS systems here, but we do have power outages of greater than 5 minutes on occasion. :D

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice