1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving desktop from 1st o 2nd fl / CAT 5e Jack

Discussion in 'Networking' started by psd0488, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psd0488

psd0488 Thread Starter

I bought 100 ft of CAT 5e cable and 2 jacks. Jacks have 2 wiring options - T568A and B. Which one do I use for this job?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi psd0488, and welcome to TSG.

It does not matter as long as you use the same "A" or "B" configuration at each end.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. psd0488

psd0488 Thread Starter

Do I insert wire colors as shown on side of jack or ,,,? 1st pin is Orange, but it has a 2 under it. 2nd pin is Orange - White, but it has a 1 under it. Do I follow the numbering pattern or the color pattern? Meaning - do I put Orange wire in 1st pin / Orange which has a 2 under it OR in pin # 2 / Orange - White which has a 1 under it...??? I'm confused.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd have to know specifically what jack you're using. Different brands have different wiring conventions. I have at least three different types here. Note that when wired correctly, all of them are proper at the jack side, it's just the wiring side that's sometimes oddball.

6. psd0488

psd0488 Thread Starter

Thank you for helping. I have Leviton / CAT 5e Jacks, 8 position, 8 conductor.
    It has an B (top) and a A (bottom) configuration. I'm using B option. B - one side has Orange, Orange White, Green White and Blue White, with respective numbers 2, 1, 3 & 5 in a row between the B and the A row options. Other side has Blue, Green, Brown and Brown White with respective numbers 4, 6, 8 & 7 in the row between B and A row options. My question is - do I put wire colors in corresponding color pins in jack and disregard numbers? Do you know the significance of the numbers?

7. sflwebguy

sflwebguy

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice